Top News

Millbrook man deemed mentally fit to stand trial for murder

Millbrook murder accused Kevin Sylliboy deemed fit to stand trial.
Millbrook murder accused Kevin Sylliboy is shown in this photo from Facebook.

TRURO, N.S.—A Millbrook man charged with first-degree murder has been deemed criminally responsible to stand trial, following an assessment at the East Coast Forensic Hospital in Dartmouth.

Kevin Brian Sylliboy, 25, is charged with killing Jamie Blair, 46, early Easter morning at the deceased's home in Millbrook.

During his last court appearance via video link in mid-July, Sylliboy took issue with the adequacy of the assessment.

In provincial court in Truro on Thursday (Aug. 16), however, Judge Al Bégin stated clearly that he had no issues with the reporting doctor’s findings.

“I have no difficulties whatsoever stating that the assessment was properly done. It was well thought out and you are fit to stand trial,” Bégin said, prompting a response from the accused.

“I don’t understand how somebody could be fit to stand trial when they only come and see me for 15 minutes,” Sylliboy said.

“My take on the read of this is that he spent a lot more time with you than that,” Bégin countered, before adding that Sylliboy will remain in custody at least until a future bail hearing is held in Supreme Court.

He did accept a request from Sylliboy, however, to recommend a transfer from the provincial jail in Burnside to the Northeast Nova Correctional Facility in Pictou County.

Because of his “… high-offender status he’s been essentially in the hole for the past 26 days (at the Mentally Ill Offender Unit in Dartmouth) and he’s not close to family, so if possible he’d like to return to Pictou,” said Legal Aid lawyer Nick Hoehne, who was representing Sylliboy on a temporary basis.

Sylliboy is currently without legal representation on his murder charge after previously firing other Legal Aid counsel. Efforts are being made to arrange for a new lawyer and the matter is scheduled to return to court on Sept. 6.

He is also scheduled on that date to be sentenced on a previous charge of possessing property obtained by crime.

A preliminary inquiry on the murder charge is scheduled to be heard from June 24 to 28 and from July 2 to 5, 2019,  in Nova Scotia Supreme Court.

Recent Stories