Four now charged in attack on homeless Truro native, one on the loose

Staff ~ The Cape Breton Post
Published on July 19, 2014
Shawn Kurtis Jack is in a Halifax hospital with serious injuries after being assaulted on Monday in North Sydney.

Police are still looking for a fourth suspect in the assault on a man in North Sydney earlier this week and have issued a Canada-wide arrest warrant for 22-year-old Cory Patrick Blinkhorn of Sydney Mines.

Blinkhorn is facing charges of attempted murder, aggravated assault and wearing a disguise while committing an offence.

He is described as 5’ 8” and 186 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes.

A 16-year-old girl from North Sydney became the third person charged earlier on Friday.

Cape Breton Regional Police are charging the young offender with aggravated assault, wearing a disguise and two breaches. They say she will appear in Sydney Provincial Court this afternoon.

Kyle William Nichol, previously charged, will appear in Sydney provincial court on Friday to face charges including attempted murder in an attack that seriously injured Shawn Kurtis Jack earlier this week.

Nichol is also charged with aggravated assault, wearing a disguise with intent to commit an offence and two counts of breaching court-ordered conditions.

The 25-year-old was remanded to the Cape Breton Correctional Centre.

Jennifer Lynn MacLeod, 22, of Boularderie, has also been charged with aggravated assault and wearing a disguise with intent to commit an offence.

Shawn Kurtis Jack, 48, was found beaten in the parking lot of a grocery store Monday night and remained in serious condition with head injuries Thursday in a Halifax hospital, according to a police spokesperson.

“Everyone knows him in some way,” said a Truro Daily News reader in an emailed comment. “Whether it’s from seeing him walking with his dog or running into him in the grocery store,” the person said.

Desiree Vassalo, a spokeswoman for the Cape Breton police, said the victim, who did not have a fixed address, is originally from Truro but had been living in the North Sydney area.

Police originally responded to reports of an injured male just before midnight on July 14, where staff at the North Sydney Superstore had located him in their parking lot. Jack, who had been staying in the area, was transported by EHS to Cape Breton Regional Hospital with serious head injuries and later to Halifax for further treatment. He remains in serious condition in the Halifax hospital.

Members of the police service’s major crime unit continue to investigate.