Driver of vehicle that hit Glace Bay siblings fined

Sharon Montgomery-Dupe
Published on July 10, 2014
Jennifer Burke of Glace Bay gets emotional while holding pictures of her children Destiny, 11, and Braydon, 8, who were hit by a motor vehicle in Glace Bay on Friday. Burke was leaving Monday to travel to Halifax to be with her children who are recovering at the IWK hospital.
TC Media - Cape Breton Post

GLACE BAY — The driver of the vehicle that hit two children on Main Street in Glace Bay has been fined.

Austin Snow, 64, of Glace Bay, was charged with failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. Snow was issued a ticket that comes with a fine of $693.95.

The Post talked to Snow and his wife Margie, owners of Union Street Deli-Mart, a longtime business in the community. The Snows declined comment on the accident but did make a brief public comment regarding the children, Destiny Burke, 11, and her brother Braydon, 8.

"Send your prayers to Destiny and Braydon for a speedy recovery," Margie said.

Police responded to a 911 call in the area of 696 Main St., Glace Bay, at about 10 p.m. Friday, regarding two children struck on Main Street.

Tony Angione had picked his children up on foot at their grandmother home on Bluewater Drive Friday night. The family had gone downtown to pick up some chicken and was returning to their home on Duke Street at the time of the accident. Angione said his kids were two minutes ahead of him but did use the crosswalk.

The children were rushed to the Cape Breton Regional Hospital and later airlifted to the IWK hospital in Halifax. Destiny is suffering from a broken femur in one leg and a broken bone in the other, as well as a bruised liver and fractured ribs.

Braydon received a serious head injury, broken bones in his hip and received stitches to close a gash above one eye.

Gino Angione of Glace Bay, the children’s uncle, said he doesn't have any reaction to the charge laid against the driver of the vehicle.

"I'm sure he didn't mean to go out and hit two kids — it's going to be a healing process for him, too, and I wish him the best."

Gino said the family was contacted by the Cape Breton Regional Police Service to advise them the driver of the vehicle had been fined.

Gino said the family hasn't talked to Snow yet but eventually they will.

"When we do we'll sit down and talk to him. Accidents happen — the good thing is the kids are alive."

Gino said he spoke to his brother Wednesday.

"The children are coming along but in a lot of pain, of course after, everything that happened," he said.

"Braydon has gotten pins in his hip and his face was pretty damaged from the accident, too. He has a lot of healing to do. Destiny’s held up in the bed with the two broken legs. Tony said she also has two broken ribs, a lot of lacerations and bruises. Tony's there with them 24-7 — they're not alone."

He said the community supporthas been fantastic, with someone even purchasing a bus ticket for Tony to come home and go back, but he doesn't plan to use it.

"He won't leave his children. The kids are both in the same hospital room now and Tony is in it with them."

Gino said friends at New Waterford Consolidated Hospital have also set up a fundraiser.

"He grew up in New Waterford. There's a lot of support coming from there, too."