TRURO - A controversial decision by the Town of Truro to expand a local tennis court may soon be revisited.
In October, Truro town council voted to allow the expansion of the Truro Tennis Club to accommodate two new courts to the south of two existing courts with the goal of having a program for the 10 and under crowd.
On Monday, Coun. Brian Kinsman, who previously voiced his opposition to the expansion, along with Coun. Greg MacArthur, recommended to council that the town reconsider its decision and bring the topic back to the table for discussion next month.
"I think we put the cart in front of the horse. That area is an important part of Victoria Park," Kinsman told the Truro Daily News.
"We are doing a management plan for the park and we should look at that more before we decide on the tennis court issue."
John Rafferty, the town's legal representative, said at least five councillors, out of a council of seven people, would have to agree to the motion of reconsideration at the next meeting to proceed.
Ron Chisholm, president of the tennis club, was not at the council meeting on Monday. When contacted by the Truro Daily News, Chisholm wasn't surprised to hear the item will potentially be discussed at length again next month. Nor did he think it was a good idea.
"To sidetrack the project now council sends a chilling (message) to many non-profit groups," said Chisholm, adding the club is only asking to use 15 per cent of the existing green space on the tennis courts.
"We followed proper procedures ... (and) it's about the youth," he added.
The process for the potential expansion began in April of 2012 and has undergone many changes in design. It has been a hot topic both at the council table and in neighbourhoods near Victoria Park, where some residents say they were not properly informed about the project.