TRURO, N.S. – Mary Beckett’s involvement in Guiding spans 60 years and two continents.
The 85-year-old Truro woman was recently presented with a special pin in recognition of her time with the movement.
“I was in Lichfield, Staffordshire (England), when I joined,” she said. “One day we paraded into the school yard and the Chief Guide was there. The fact that she was there was a big thing.”
Beckett said her favourite times involved her years as a Sea Ranger, but there were also some frightening incidents.
“I remember going on the river and I was scared. We had to swim too. Being able to swim 50 yards was a requirement.
“I learned many things in Girl Guides that help me when I was married and went to live on a farm. There were camping skills, fire laying, cooking on a wood stove… I learned so much in Guides and Rangers.”
As an adult, Beckett was a Brownie, Guide and Pathfinder leader, and served two five-year periods as district commissioner.
She’s still proud to wear her Guide badges and pins and to recite the old Guide promise and law.
“If everybody lived by that law it would be good,” she said.
Promise recited by Mary Beckett
On my honour, I promise that I will do my best:
To do my duty to God and the Queen;
To help other people at all times;
To obey the Guide Law
Original law – recited by Mary Beckett
- A Guide’s honour is to be trusted.
- A Guide is loyal.
- A Guide's duty is to be useful and to help others.
- A Guide is a friend to all and a sister to every other Guide.
- A Guide is courteous.
- A Guide is a friend to animals.
- A Guide obeys orders.
- A Guide smiles and sings under all difficulties.
- A Guide is thrifty.
- A Guide is pure in thought, in word and in deed
Today’s Guiding promise
I promise to do my best,
To be true to myself, my beliefs and Canada
I will take action for a better world
And respect the Guiding Law
Today’s Guiding law
The Guiding Law challenges me to:
- be honest and trustworthy
- use my resources wisely
- respect myself and others
- recognize and use my talents and abilities
- protect our common environment
- live with courage and strength
- share in the sisterhood of Guiding