Mystified by the maze

Letters to the Editor (The Truro Daily News)

I have always been fascinated by the corn maze that River Breeze Farm Market sets up every year.
Obviously, the Department of Transportation office in Truro/Bible Hill and Colchester County must have been tremendously interested in how they could create such a challenging, awe inspiring, eye-catching masterpiece. It's quite obvious that they have been working diligently on this project for years.
In my travels, I find their most harrowing eye-catching maze is on Highway 2 from Millbrook to the exit to Highway 102. You have so many choices ... swerve to the right or swerve to the left ... you miss one huge pothole, but oops ... wrong swerve, you are now in the other pothole.
This maze is definitely very challenging, and if you're lucky, they will add a surprise for you on your next trip. Then you get to do the night trip with lights shining in your eyes, then you really have to keep your wits about you as they don't leave any clues for you. It's a total surprise, just like a maze should be.
Right. I often wonder if the Department of Transportation and the auto repair garages have a secret pact ... we won't repair the roads right away so we can send you some business, or maybe even get our fair citizens to drop in and consider buying a brand new vehicle. How does one year sound??
This scenario sort of resembles the series The Ghost Whisperer ... is that a mirage of upheaved jagged pieces of pavement I see or am I having a senior's moment?
No matter, I'll stop at Tim's for a double/double and maybe when I leave the mirage will be gone ... not! Ah yes, our taxes and their budget ... something's not right, but for the life of me I can't figure out where I went wrong.
Dave Alderman
Hilden

Comments

Comments

• chief wiggam
    January 18, 2010 - 10:15

yes butvictoria steet is not a major thru-way.

• Dave
    January 18, 2010 - 10:10

I found a family of four in one of the potholes on East Prince. They had been there since Xmas, but luckily there presents were in their vehicle and they were still able to celebrate.
    Town of Truro, bringing families together at Xmas!

• Open Your
    January 18, 2010 - 10:05

There are bad roads all over this town and county. Try taking a drive down Victoria Street towards the fire hall.

• Eleanor
    January 18, 2010 - 09:58

When visiting on Victoria St. in Truro back in 2001 my husband made reference to the fact that it reminded him of London after WW II and it appears by the comments I have read so far things have not improved as far as repairing the streets. If you want to attract tourists you should be prepared toprovide them with good roads. In travelling down Shore to Five Islands Park we broke a spring on our 5th wheel in one pothole.

• chief wiggam
    January 18, 2010 - 09:49

no secret really to the people of millbrook. or for that matter the people of 'hollywood'. discrimation.

• Noah
    January 18, 2010 - 09:47

I too have the unfortunate experience of having to drive the East Price street route from Harmony Road into Truro. (Or as I like to call it...Truro's version of the Dubai Rally Route .
    It is really fun in the spring/summer months when you attempt to drive a motorcycle along this stretch of wilderness road. ( I wore a mouf guard but it doven't feem to help)
    Hopefully the kids going to the new school in Harmony will be wearing seatbelts in the bus to school. Then again, with all the potholes and bumps on this part of East Prince street, maybe that is why the new name for the school is Harmony Heights !

• AJ
    January 18, 2010 - 09:43

The roads are outrageous. Pot hole after pot hole everyone on the town streets. Enough with the cold patches, especially on Willow Street, from Tim Hortons outbound. Why not bite the bullet and do a good paving job. This street is becoming more and more busy and there are accidents waiting to happen with each lane swerving to avoid the holes. Who will pay the damages? The Town............not likely, the other vehicle........no likely, me YES!. Fix them