The Crown will no longer appeal a judge's decision to acquit Terry Dean Allen of manslaughter in the death of three-year-old Samantha Mercer.
Chris Hansen, spokeswoman for the Nova Scotia Public Prosecution Service, said a legal analysis of the ruling found there weren't enough grounds for a successful appeal.
Allen was babysitting Samantha when Mercer died in March 2005. He had been dating her mother, Aleisha Mercer, and moved into their Brunswick Street home in Truro about a week before.
(More to come)
- Read more special articles:
- Mercer family’s heartbreaking struggle doesn’t end with review of toddler's death
- Truro police investigation into toddler's death ‘got off to a very bad start right off the bat’
- Truro Police Service responds to review of Samantha Mercer case
- Police investigation into death of Samantha Mercer flawed, review concludes.