Burrows takes shot at Armstrong

Jason Malloy

TRURO - Being the candidate for the Conservatives in central and northern Nova Scotia should not be considered winning the lottery, says the Liberal candidate.

Jim Burrows made the comment after being questioned about a news release sent out during the early days of the federal campaign. In the release Burrows said he is a "farmer, businessman, volunteer, and a community leader.

Asked by the Truro Daily News if he was speaking about incumbent Scott Armstrong, Burrows said yes.

He added it was "obvious" Armstrong's focus during the past number of years was to become the Conservative's candidate and member of Parliament.

"I think what voters need to remember is that traditionally in this riding, getting the Tory nomination has been akin to winning Atlantic Lottery's Set for Life and I think we have to change that ... mindset," Burrows said.

"What I want the voters to do is to stop and take a look at the candidates, what the candidates' backgrounds are, what their abilities are and what they offer people in the community."

Burrows did say there was nothing wrong with being involved with a political party over an extended period of time.

Armstrong said he stands by his record of representing all constituents since being elected in 2009.

"I will never be ashamed to say I represent the Progressive Conservative Party and the Conservative Party in this riding," said Armstrong, who had previously held executive positions with the provincial association.

"I think it's something I wear as a badge of honour."

He said he has also been active with volunteer organizations and as a coach.

Burrows said he is proud of his accomplishments.

"I am in politics because I believe Canadians deserve a government that addresses our challenges with facts, with compassion, with competence," he said in the release.

jmalloy@trurodaily.com

Organizations: Conservatives, Truro Daily News, Armstrong's Progressive Conservative Party Tory

Geographic location: Northern Nova Scotia

Comments

Comments

• VinnyMac
    April 02, 2011 - 20:57

What a dumb comment to make,if I was you I get working on trying to get people to know who you are. The Jim Who is out there more then the Jim Burrows.

• Reg Reader
    April 01, 2011 - 10:52

It's unfortunate the lack of intelligence in our riding. Most people vote Tory because that is what their father or mother did... they really have no idea why they do, they just do. Get on the CBC vote compass, you may be surprised at where your views on politics actually put you in terms of your political leanings.

• OJ
    March 30, 2011 - 12:10

You guys make it sound like he wasn't telling the trurth. Maybe that is the problem you are not use to the hearing the trurth from you political leaders. As for Scott Armstrong and the conservative party (The red neck party), when the best you can say about Harper and his goernemnt is that he didn't screw things up then you really didn't do much at all. What has his governemnt done for the eroding middle class? Nothing. If your rich, you get hand outs and tax breaks, if your poor you get tax breaks and social programs to help out, if your middle class you get? oh right nothing.

• KM
    March 30, 2011 - 11:35

Mr. Armstrong has prepared all his life for this position. In his short term as MP, his proven political experience and savy has brought millions to the riding in jobs and infrastructure. Telling him to not want to attain this position would be like telling Wayne Gretzky not to play hockey.

• Bonita
      May 04, 2011 - 00:10

Thats right!I my self think Scott will do anything and every thing he can to get things done for the people You know he is kind to kids he has what it takes to make a difference!If you think about it,What has been done in the past really!Alot of people voted and what they voted for was a persom whom they know ,will get things done!Thats is 'what we want and it is about all of us!We need to have things put in to place and actions followed through,not just talk I can tell you Scott woulld not talk about and forget Scott will get it done!

• Chris
    March 30, 2011 - 09:31

Very poor show from the Liberal Candidate. A real low note.

• honkaw
    March 30, 2011 - 08:49

Armstrong stand by his record, what record? All he has done is collect his pay for little work. In Colchester/Cumberland being a Tory candidate is like winning the lottery, run a cardboard cutout under the blue banner and it would get elected. We have to think for ourselves and get away from " our family was Tory - so I have to be Tory" . Stop, Think for ourselves and make the decision what is best for the community . If at the end of the day it is a Tory government that is best - so be it. It is time to make our own decision and stop being led by family history.

• Snow Balls
    March 30, 2011 - 08:10

"I did not spend my whole life scheming to get elected," Burrows said in the release....... (No Jim, you have only been "scheming" the last few years) "it was "obvious" Armstrong's focus during the past number of years was to become the Conservative's candidate and member of Parliament." (Gee, Jim...same as your focus to become Liberal Candidate and MP) "Getting the Tory nomination has been akin to winning Atlantic Lottery's Set for Life" ( Jim, you know Set for Life would be the same for any nominee of any political party winning the election.) In anything, I would prefer the person with a lifetime of experience, training, professionalism and dedication over one who has only been at it a couple of years.

• Tracy
    March 30, 2011 - 08:10

And so the mud slinging begins!! Get the shovels back out from winter - its going to get worse from here.

• L.C.
    March 30, 2011 - 06:58

What a disgusting, down in the mud, start to the campaign from Mr. Burrows. I am so disappointed. I hoped for better.