Downtown business owner remains committed to customer service in face of adversity

Raissa Tetanish

TRURO – He’s been in business for more than a dozen years, but Keith Gillis said the last five months have been like starting from scratch.

Keith Gillis, who owns G&G Computer Services in Truro, remains open as a former employee heads to court on charges of defrauding the company of more than $450,000. None of the allegations have been proven in court.

Gillis owns and operates G&G Computer Services out of Arlington Place and a former employee, Anna Mae Ellis, is up on charges of defrauding approximately $455,000 from the business. None of the allegations have been proven in court, and Ellis is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday.

“I’m an upbeat, happy-go-lucky guy, but I’ve had a hard time putting a smile on my face to deal with customers,” said Gillis. “Things have been mentally hard for me. I come in every day, trying to keep the money flowing and to fix the mistakes, but you just keep running into roadblocks and more problems.”

Gillis said he’d been working day and night for the past two years, but didn’t seem any further ahead.

“I was basically working 16-hour days, six, sometimes seven, days a week. It was harder work but I was no further ahead. I blamed it on the economy change and shift in computers, but it wasn’t making sense.”

Gillis hired Doreen Dean close to the New Year to look after accounts receivable after realizing there was “no cash flow” within the business.

“It’s very disheartening,” said Gillis, adding he’s had to pay someone to re-do his books. “A lot of people have been questioning and are frustrated, but you can’t really tell the customer what’s going on … you can’t tell them behind the scenes.”

The owner is staying open to service his customers, and thanking them for their understanding and patience.

To other business owners, he’s hoping none find themselves in the position of starting over.

“You need to have processes and checks in place, and if you don’t know what you should have, you need to talk to a chartered accountant to find out. As an entrepreneur, you start up your business because you’re good at something. Usually the books are the weak part. If I was good at books, I wouldn’t have opened a computer store.

“In business, in order to build your business, you need to make sure you’re working on your business,” he said.

rtetanish@trurodaily.com

Twitter: @TDNRaissa

Organizations: GG Computer Services

Geographic location: Arlington Place

Comments

Comments

• Lloyd Spicer
    May 27, 2014 - 11:49

I am saddened. They have done a great job of providing me with computer service. They are great computer service people and I have always been very satisfied with their work.

• Nick
    May 25, 2014 - 15:51

How much money are you making that you don't missing half a million dollars? Either you're making money hand over fist or you're completely inept.

• Chris
      June 08, 2014 - 14:16

If you read the whole article, he was working 16 hours a day 7 days a week, when would he have time to notice anything like that. Also it was over 7 years so that is a long time to stretch it over. I know he is neither making money hand over fist and he is most definitely not inept. I would like to see anyone work like he does and have customer service that he has and stay in business.

• d stevens
    May 24, 2014 - 10:02

must be one of the most successful small businesses in Truro to loose 1/2 Million dollars out the door and take how long to notice something is wrong... hummm... sketchy..

• Charles
    May 24, 2014 - 07:03

I am amazed at how this guy could not miss 455K. It's a very small business and he should have easily been able to detect it long before this.

• Sandra
    May 23, 2014 - 10:41

This story makes no since at all. There is a lot more to it than what's being told.

• Tracy Weatherbee-Boutilier
      May 25, 2014 - 06:13

What is so hard to understand? The woman is being charged with stealing from G&G, he lost money to the point where he has to (almost) start over! Thank goodness he has a good client base and that part will be easy! Getting out of the debt that has built because bills couldn't be paid will. Be the hard part!

• Beverley Fudge
    May 23, 2014 - 07:31

Hang in there , things will improve I am sure. You are well respected and a brilliant mind when working with computers.

• chief wiggam
    May 23, 2014 - 06:42

i bet there will be no jail time for this theft of almost half a million dollars. 2 reasons: 1) it is "white collar" crime.judges have more sympathy. 2)the alleged theft was by a woman.again judges have more sympathy.

• SHIRLEY MACDONALD
    May 23, 2014 - 00:45

This should never happen to any business. Hope you can bring things back, you are a hard worker, and know you can do it. Best of luck and lots of energy.

• Tracy Boutilier
    May 22, 2014 - 19:41

I've known Keith for several years now...wouldn't go to anyone else for my computer needs - at home or for the office I work at! Great guy, knows his stuff and his customers come first! Keep smiling Keith ! Don't let this get you down!

• Tanya McNutt
    May 22, 2014 - 17:33

Hang in there Keith... I have done business with you and your company and your service is the best. You're hard work will come through... Hoping Justice is done.

• Kerry Andrews
      May 23, 2014 - 15:54

You are a great guy Keith and always greeted me and others with a smile. You built me my computer and was always happy to help in any way with questions I had. I was so very saddened to read that someone took advantage of your trusting nature. Hopefully you will move on and things will get resolved and the person responsible will be brought to justice.