Fire marshal rules cause of Waterville chicken barn fire accidental

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

WATERVILLE - The provincial fire marshal has determined the cause of a barn fire in Waterville that killed thousands of chickens to be accidental.

Fire crews were at the scene of a poultry barn on Bond Road, Waterville, from 10:40 p.m. April 26 until the next morning.

Department of Municipal Affairs media relations advisor Tracy Barron said fire marshal Harold Pothier determined on April 29 that a malfunctioning fan unit was the likely cause of the blaze. It was an "industrial exhaust fan used to control temperature in the building."

There were nine Kings County fire departments from Kingston to Wolfville on the scene battling the fire until 4 a.m. the morning of April 27. The Waterville and District Fire Department was first called to the fire in a two-storey chicken barn on Bond Road around 10:40 p.m. April 26.

Fire department spokesman Kevin Ernest said on April 27 that the building was about 300 feet long and about half the structure was destroyed. The barn is owned by Atlantic Poultry Inc.

Organizations: Department of Municipal Affairs, District Fire Department, Atlantic Poultry

Geographic location: Kingston, Wolfville, Bond Road

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments