TRURO – Two residences in Truro were broken into last week and the Truro Police Service is reminding people to lock doors and windows, especially overnight.
“Break and enter is a crime of opportunity,” reads a press release issued from the police. “Don’t give a thief an open invitation and make sure your home is locked and secure.”
Anyone observing suspicious people or vehicles in their neighbourhood is encouraged to report it to police.
Some tips to help deter criminal activity include:
- Ensure scrubs and trees are trimmed so that they do not cover a door or window.
- Motion sensors on exterior lights.
- Consider installing a security system.
- Record serial numbers on electronic equipment or other valuables that have them.
- Take photographs of your valuables.
- Ask your neighbor to check your property while you are away.
- Do not post on Facebook or other social media your vacation plans or the fact that you will be away.