HALIFAX – The third and final member of an interim panel being appointed to oversee management of the Nova Scotia Provincial Exhibition (NSPE) is to be named next week.
“I believe it is Thursday of next week I will announce the three-person board, and we’re very pleased with the people that have put their names forward,” Agriculture Minister Keith Colwell said, during Question Period in Province House on Tuesday, according to a Hansard transcript.
“We’re already moving toward making the facility
long-term feasible and profitable for a change,” he said, following questions posed by Progressive Conservative MLA John Lohr of the Kings North constituency.
In January, Colwell stripped the previous 12-member NSPE board of its powers and ordered a forensic audit on the financial operations of the facility, which last year had reported debts totalling more than $1 million.
At that same time, the Nova Scotia Farm Loan Board called in the commission’s loan of $422,000.
Colwell said the province eventually plans to appoint a smaller permanent board than the previous commission but in the meantime, a three-person interim panel would be put in place to oversee operations.
Colwell had previously reported to the Truro Daily News that former NSPE Commission chairman Bruce Kennedy and former vice-chairman Cameron MacEachen had been named as the first two members of the interim panel and that efforts were ongoing to secure the third and final member.
The minister stated during Question Period that the NSPE would be conducting “a full slate of
activities” this year, including the provincial exhibition, 4-H shows and “most all of the other programs… .”
Live horse racing is also slated to resume on Sunday at the Truro Raceway.