Fire in elevator room cancels CEC classes

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

TRURO – There’s no word yet as to how long students will be off from Cobequid Educational Centre following a fire in the elevator room.

A fire in the elevator room at Cobequid Educational Centre started just before 8 a.m. Wednesday and Truro firefighters quickly responded. Students and faculty were evacuated to the Colchester Legion Stadium before officials cancelled school for the day because of smoke.

Debbie Buott-Matheson, communications manager for the Chignecto-Central Regional School Board, said officials needed to go through the building first.

“They need to get all the water that’s down, out and to clear all the smoke out of the building first,” she said about a fire that was called into firefighters at about 7:43 a.m. Wednesday. “They can’t reset the alarms until all of that is done. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done before that.”

Firefighters were called to the scene just before 8 a.m. and students and faculty that had been inside the school were evacuated. They were able to stay at the Colchester Legion Stadium in the meantime.

Truro Fire Service Chief Blois Currie said he did not know the immediate cause of the fire.

“I believe it started in an electrical motor inside the elevator room, but what actually caused it, we don’t know. That’s where the most damage was done,” he said.

As students started arriving at the school, many were told about the fire and to go to the arena next door. Once it was determined classes were cancelled, those being dropped off, who walked to school or drove themselves could leave. The remaining students remained until their buses could return to pick them up.

“We don’t know when school will resume but we will try to give as much notice to students and parents as possible. We’ll know more as the day goes on,” said Buott-Matheson.

Parents, guardians and students with questions are asked to contact the Cobequid Family of Schools office at 896-5737.

Twitter: @TDNRaissa

Geographic location: Colchester Legion Stadium

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • aj
    February 05, 2014 - 09:35

    What cause the fire.

  • concerned parent
    February 05, 2014 - 08:30

    how good is that?!! ohhh to be a student again. lol