TRURO, N.S. – Dave Cotterill was as shocked as anyone upon hearing the Nova Scotia School Athletic Federation has cancelled high school rugby for the remainder of the season.
Cotterill, president of the Truro Rugby Club, said he was stunned by the news.
“It was super-abrupt,” he said on Thursday afternoon.
“We really don’t have many details right now. Everybody had no idea this was coming so we’re all quite shocked and we’re disappointed.”
Cobequid Educational Centre boys and girls teams were scheduled to play at Hants East on Thursday.
In a statement sent to school principals, the NSSAF wrote the following:
“Please be advised that the Board of Governors of the Nova Scotia School Athletic Federation, at their regularly scheduled spring meeting, has removed rugby from the NSSAF sports calendar. All rugby play within the NSSAF shall cease, effective May 2, 2019,” it stated.
“After a thorough review of incident report data provided by the School Insurance Program, the Board has decided to take this action. Student safety remains the top priority of the Federation.”
Rugby Nova Scotia responded to the situation on Twitter.
“We are very disappointed with the decision and have requested a meeting with the NSSAF to better understand the reasoning behind their decision,” it said in a release.
Cotterill said he is still waiting for more information.
“I think most of the clubs in Nova Scotia are just waiting to see what Rugby Nova Scotia is going to do, but we support the union in Nova Scotia and we support the kids and what the coaches are doing, and we hope everything works out in the end,” said Cotterill. “More than anything right now, I think it’s just shocking for us and the kids.”
- SPORTS CHAT: How important is high school rugby?
- Cape Breton students hold rally over suspension of high school rugby
- Follow the bouncing ball: Nova Scotia high school rugby games could go ahead Tuesday
- NSSAF defends rugby ban decision in memo to school principals
- Truro coach breathes sigh of relief after rugby is restored
- Valley athletes celebrate as word circulates that high school rugby will resume
- CEC coach says players were devastated by NSSAF’s decision to cut rugby
- Provincial minister calls upon NSSAF to reverse decision, reinstate high school rugby
- NSSAF pulls rugby mid-season, Avon View High School players devastated