TRURO, N.S. – An amateur fight card with a professional feel will light up the Rath Eastlink Community Centre this weekend.
The first Rumble at the RECC – hosted by the Hubtown Boxing Club – is a 12- to 14-bout card showcasing local fighters in a high-end production that will feature all the bells and whistles.
“We pulled out all the stops on this fight,” said Darrin Mosher, Hubtown Boxing Club president and head coach. “This is going to be our biggest show ever.”
The event will feature a custom light show, music, a hanging mike, a curtained silhouette entrance and a 40-foot screen showing boxers’ tale of the tape.
“It’s like a professional show we’re doing for the kids,” said Mosher.
Eight Hubtown boxers will fight on Saturday. The main event will feature Hubtown’s Morgan Donaldson, who will trade punches with Jeff Cano of the Valley in a 130-pound matchup.
Hubtown's Abreanna Langille will fight Taylor Thorne of KO-ed Boxing Club in Charlottetown in the lone female bout of the night.
Mosher said his athletes have worked hard in the gym – some training up to six days a week – and hosting a card of this magnitude on the big stage is a just reward.
“These kids, they all have put their heart and soul into this thing,” he said. “The dedication, the hard work, showing up every night for training, … they are just all so focused and so ready and want to get this on.”
There will also be a wheelchair exhibition bout between Westville’s Mitch Comeau, who is paralyzed from the waist down, and his coach Aaron Kinch.
Mosher said partnering with the RECC is a great opportunity for his club.
“They are so on board,” he said. “They have been absolutely fantastic – their marketing team, they’ve been out selling tables as well as us; they’ve assisted in so many aspects of the card and being able to utilize their people, it’s been fantastic, it’s been a great partnership.”
READY TO RUMBLE
What: Rumble at the RECC, Truro
When: Saturday, June 22. Doors open at 7 p.m., fights begins at 8 p.m.
Tickets: Available at the RECC or at Ticketpro.ca
- Dylan Allison, Hubtown vs. Bohan Pettipas, Westville – 70 lbs.
- Daniel ‘Electric’ Wire, Hubtown, vs. Anderson MacDonald, Ring 73, 75 lbs.
- Noah Morin, Hubtown vs. Daniel Turner, Ring 73, 95 lbs.
- Hunter Naugle, Westville vs. Dion Jakaj, Ko-ed Charlottetown, 120 lbs.
- Landon Tower, Oxford vs. Ahmed Khalid, Ko-ed Charlottetown, 125 lbs.
- Reid Primeau, Oxford vs. Liam Kinch, Westville, 130 lbs.
- Aaron Kinch, Westville vs. Mitch Comeau, Westville, para boxing
- Kyle Woodworth, Membertou vs. Mathew Doyle, Ko-ed Charlottetown, 130 lbs.
- Abreanna Langille, Hubtown vs. Taylor Thorne, Ko-ed Charlottetown, 175 lbs.
- Mike Redmond, Hubtown vs. Trevor Dauphinee, Membertou, 201 plus
- Jeremiah Mosher, Hubtown, vs. Rhys MacDonald, New Waterford, 180 lbs.
- Jordan Smith, Hubtown vs. Jon Foster, Canning, 145 lbs.
- Co-main event – Cole Redmond, Hubtown vs. Nate Foster, Canning, 150 lbs.
- Main event – Morgan Donaldson vs Jeff Cano, A1 Boxing, Valley, 130 lbs.