Top News

P.E.I. man jailed for sexual assault after meeting victim through online dating website

Justice
Justice.
CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. —

A 59-year-old man who sexually assaulted a woman he met through the dating website Plenty of Fish was sentenced Wednesday to one year in jail.

Randy Myron Barbour appeared before Chief Judge Nancy Orr in provincial court in Charlottetown for sentencing after previously entering a guilty plea.

The agreed statement of facts said Barbour met the victim on Plenty of Fish and after several dates he asked her to go to his motel room.

She did, but the court heard the victim had already told Barbour what she didn’t want during a sexual encounter.

Barbour did some of those things to the victim.

The woman addressed the court Wednesday and read her victim impact statement in which she said Barbour gave her no reason to believe he was someone other than who he presented himself to be.

Barbour was different behind closed doors, she said.

“I was presented with a monster.”

The victim said she felt helpless and terrified that she had to do whatever Barbour told her to.

She kept thinking about a baseball bat Barbour had next to his bed, the woman said.

“I really felt that I was in danger.”

In determining a sentence, Orr said Barbour’s guilty plea was a mitigating factor, the most significant aspect of which was that the victim didn’t have to testify and talk about personal, intimate details.

The retelling can be traumatic, Orr said.

With the Crown proceeding summarily, Barbour was facing a maximum sentence of 18 months in jail.

Along with the jail time, Barbour will be on probation for two years, during which time he is banned from contacting the victim unless he has his probation officer’s consent.

He is also banned from engaging in any internet dating services.

Barbour must provide a DNA sample for the national databank and will be on the sex offender registry for 10 years.

Twitter.com/ryanrross

RELATED 

Recent Stories