Top News

Well known building in Pictou destroyed by fire


A well known building in downtown Pictou was destroyed by fire Monday.

Firefighters were called to the scene mid-morning and remained on scene until late in the day. Tuesday there was only rubble that remained.

The Water Street business called Poppy's One Stop had recently opened in the building. Prior to that it had been operated as a dollar store.

Pictou Mayor Jim Ryan said the building was originally built as a Sobeys. He doesn’t know the exact date, but believes it was in the 1970’s. Since that time it was operated as a number of different convenience stores. In the '80s it was known as Naylor's and was owned by Bob Naylor who had a lunch counter and convenience store.

Several fire departments are on scene and Water Street was blocked off. Nearby businesses were vacated and power in the area was disconnected. A crowd gathered to watch the fire.

“It’s a big loss to the downtown,” said Ryan, who stopped by at one point.

This is the second building to be lost in the downtown recently. In January 2017, Vernon D’Eon Lobster Plugs also burned. That fire was determined to be caused by an electrical fire.

“It’s always sad and I certainly feel for the owner operator,” said Ryan.

Recent Stories