Top News

Shag Harbour UFO incident still a distinct memory

The Shag Harbour Incident Interpretive Centre is the centre of all things UFO. PHOTOS BY ANDREW VAUGHAN • CP
The Shag Harbour Incident Interpretive Centre is the centre of all things UFO. PHOTOS BY ANDREW VAUGHAN • CP - The Canadian Press

s there life out there in the universe?

That depends upon who you ask, but if you were in the tiny village of Shag Harbour, located in Barrington on Nova Scotia’s South Shore on the night of Oct. 4, 1967, you might be inclined to answer in the affirmative.

Shortly after 11 p.m., witnesses reported that a UFO, estimated at 60 feet in diameter, was seen hovering over the water. Those who saw the object reported they saw four bright lights and flashed in a uniform pattern.

After hovering for several minutes, witnesses said the object tilted and quickly descended toward the water. Witnesses who immediately called the nearby RCMP detachment located in Barrington Passage reported a bright flash and an explosion. The immediate thought was that an aircraft had plunged into the icy Atlantic. The rush was on as there could be survivors.

With the calls coming in, three RCMP officers were dispatched to the scene, two approaching from east of the site, while a third, who was on highway patrol on Highway 3, headed to the impact site from the west. When the three officers met, they found that the object was still floating on the water about a half-mile from shore. It was glowing a pale yellow and was leaving a trail of dense yellow foam as it drifted in the ebb tide. Witnesses later reported the object had changed shape several times before hitting 

the water.

Neither the rescue co-ordination centre in Halifax nor the nearby North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) radar facility at Baccaro, had any knowledge of missing aircraft, either civilian or military. Also, a coast guard lifeboat dispatched from nearby Clark’s Harbour, along with several local fishing boats were sent to the crash site but the UFO had submerged before they reached the location. The sulfuroussmelling yellow foam continued to bubble to the surface from the point where the UFO went down. In a matter of time, a 36 by 91 metre slick developed. Search efforts continued until 3 a.m. and then resumed at first light the next day, as it was clear that something had gone into the water.

The next morning, a preliminary report was sent to the National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa. After communicating with NORAD, The Royal Canadian Navy was asked to conduct an underwater search as soon as possible for the object. Seven navy divers from the HMCS Granby searched for several days until Oct. 8. The next day the navy cancelled the search, saying nothing was found.

In time, the Shag Harbour UFO became Case #34 in the infamous Condon Report, but whatever the object was remains a mystery even today. This incident is the only UFO crash recorded and recognized by the Canadian government.

The Shag Harbour UFO Incident Society, was formed several years ago to promote and to help keep memories of this mysterious event alive. The group’s major event, the Shag Harbour UFO Conference, will take place this year Aug. 3-5.Tickets are now available for the event being held

at the Sandy Wickens Memorial Arena on Sherose Island in Barrington Passage. As part of the conference guest speakers, media personalities, researchers and witnesses will conduct a series of presentations to discuss the Shag Harbour event which has become the most documented UFO incident in Canadian history.

While there have been many theories floating about what occurred on the night of Oct. 4, 1967, renowned Shag Harbour UFO incident researcher Chris Styles, who has spent years investigating and writing about the event says something happened there that night.

“Let’s put it this way: I don’t believe it was anything conventional,” he says. For further information about the festival and to purchase tickets, go to shagharbourUFO.

Recent Stories