It’s a tractor unlike any most visitors will have seen before. A newly restored 1955 Ferguson, which is in full running order, is one of the first things in view when you come through the front door of the Antique Farm Equipment Museum in Bible Hill.
“Having this is quite a coup for us,” said Page Baird, a board member with the museum. “It was made in Coventry, England. 1955 was the last year Ferguson tractors were made; after that they became Massey Ferguson, with the company owned by Massey Harris.”
Paint was specially ordered, and the tractor is now the same shade of grey it would have been when new.
Many antiques used to work the land, build and repair things, travel, and keep a home running can be found in the museum.
A children’s area is set up with a corn box, table top games, a colouring area, a rocking horse and a rocking cow.
An outdoor display includes a few unusual items, including a horse-drawn land roller, a litter carrier and track (for removing manure from barns) ad a horse-drawn seeder.
The museum also includes a ‘country store’ section with a variety of items for sale. These include wooden utensils, museum mugs and caps, bird houses and wooden birds. A new addition this year is chairs made by the volunteers, using old office chair bases and tractor seats. There’s also on tractor seat attached to the top of an old milk can.
The museum opened for the season the first week of May, and is open to visitors Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m.
Visitors are encouraged to bring a jacket or sweater, as it remains cool inside the building year-round.