Cape Breton Regional Municipality council has officially recognized the Chapel Point Battery as a municipal heritage property.
The current fortification was built off Amber Street atop the cliffs of Sydney Mines to guard Sydney harbour. It was constructed in 1939 and was one of seven facilities erected to protect the harbour, which became a departure point for trans-Atlantic convoys carrying supplies to England during the Second World War.
The facility includes an observation post, gun batteries and several below-ground fortifications.
Prior to the Second World War, the site was utilized to protect the harbour from 1862-1870 and again during the First World War (1914-1917).
The battery was recognized as a federal historic place in 1993.
It is presently undergoing renovations.