Bearcats earn pair of wins

MacLeod picks up seven points in weekend victories over Yarmouth, St. Stephen

Published on January 8, 2017

Jason Rioux backstopped the Truro Bearcats to a pair of victories during the weekend, including a 6-0 triumph over the Yarmouth Mariners on Friday.

TRURO, N.S. – Thanks to a two-win weekend, the Truro Bearcats are knocking on the door for first place in the Maritime Junior Hockey League’s Eastlink South Division.

The Bearcats hammered the Yarmouth Mariners 6-0 on Friday, before edging the St. Stephen Aces 5-4 in overtime on Saturday.

Truro (19-9-1-1) holds down third place in the division, just three points behind the Mariners and only four back of the league-leading Pictou County Crushers.

Truro 6, Yarmouth 0

At the Mariners Centre, Cameron MacLeod notched a hat trick and Jason Rioux earned the shutout as the Bearcats cruised to victory.

Truro led 1-0 after one period and 3-0 after 40 minutes.


Cameron MacLeod

Newcomer Nic Blanchard got on the scoresheet with a second-period power-play goal and an assist. Blanchard was acquired from the Valley Wildcats last Tuesday in a five-player deal.

Kyle Tibbo and Riley Baggs also scored for the Bearcats, while Luke MacMillan and Justin Doiron each added two assists.

MacLeod also had a helper for a four-point night and was named the game’s first star. Blanchard was second star.

Truro 5, St. Stephen 4 (OT)

Brandon Hughes was the overtime hero, scoring at 1:30 of the extra session to give the Bearcats an eighth-straight home-ice victory in front of 418 fans at the Rath Eastlink Community Centre.

Denver Lynds chipped in a pair of goals for the Bearcats, while Dylan Burton had a goal and two assists and MacLeod continued his hot play with a goal and two helpers.

The Aces jumped out to a 2-0 first-period lead, however, Lynds scored near the end of the first and added another early in the second on a power play to draw the Bearcats even.

MacLeod scored at 13:54 to give Truro it’s first lead of the game, however, Adam Crowe replied for St. Stephen at 17:41 as the teams were tied 3-3 after 40 minutes.

Doug D’Arnall gave the visitors the lead just 44 seconds into the third, before Burton tied it at 11:38.

Rioux faced just 20 shots, while his counterpart, Levi Denny, saw 31 shots.

The Bearcats, winners of three straight, visit the Mariners next Saturday, before a home game against the Valley Wildcats.