Bearcats roll to fifth straight victory

Published on January 15, 2017

Truro Bearcats captain Kyle Tibbo tries to shake two defenders during Maritime Junior Hockey League action on Saturday in Yarmouth.

©Tina Comeau/TC Media

TRURO, N.S. – The Truro Bearcats enjoyed another winning weekend in the Maritime Junior Hockey League.

The Bearcats edged the Yarmouth Mariners 3-2 in a shootout Saturday, before pounding the Valley Wildcats 9-1 Sunday.

Truro (21-9-1-1) has won five straight games, including four in a row since returning from the Christmas break.

The Bearcats are tied for second place in the Eastlink South Division with the Mariners, each with 44 points. They trail the league-leading Pictou County Crushers by just four points.

Bearcats captain Kyle Tibbo racked up six points in the two weekend tilts (5G, 1A). He is tied for first in league scoring with 30 goals and 26 assists for 56 points. Pictou County’s Alexis Roy also has 56 points.

The Bearcats return to action Thursday when they visit the Summerside Western Capitals. Their next home game is Saturday against South Shore (RECC, 7 p.m.).

Truro 3, Yarmouth 2 (SO)

Brandon Hughes scored the winner as the Bearcats defeated the Mariners for a third straight time this season.

Tibbo netted both Truro goals, including a second-period power-play marker. Chris Goreham and Mateo Short replied for the Mariners in front of 1,220 fans at the Mariners Centre.

Shots were even at 24 apiece. Jason Rioux picked up the win in nets.

Truro 9, Valley 1

Tibbo notched a hat trick and an assist, while Nic Blanchard and Noah Archibald each contributed goal goal and two assists against a Valley team that unloaded its veteran players before last week’s trade deadline.

Hughes, Tyler Pike and Mark O’Shaughnessy each had a goal and a helper, while Justin Doiron scored and Zach Moody had three assists.

Donovan Rehill was the lone Wildcat to beat Bearcats goaltender Matthew Forslund.

The Bearcats led 3-0 after the first period and 7-1 after 40 minutes. Truro outshot Valley 49-21.

Attendance was 293.