Upper Stewiacke Notebook, Margaret Johnson
The Stewiacke Valley Museum, 5445 Highway 289, is open for the summer. Hours are Wednesday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., closed Monday and Tuesday.
The museum showcases several new displays this year, along with lots of family pictures and genealogy from our local area.
On July 8 we will host an afternoon social from 1 to 3 p.m. Come join us for a cup of tea and refreshments, plus a good chance to visit friends and chat. Everyone is welcome.
On June 25 the Society met at 7:30 p.m. for its regular meeting. The guest speaker was Lyle Bates from Musquodoboit talking about the fire tower that was in Glenmore.
Erica Jackson, member of the Stewiacke Valley 4-H Club, has received notification that she will represent Atlantic Provinces, one of a team of six from across Canada to compete in the Holstein Young Breeders competition in Belgium this September. Jackson is a granddaughter of Rick and Colleene Jackson of Upper Stewiacke. We wish her all the best.
Wedding and anniversary congratulations go out to:
• Troy Lemmon and Ashley McCallum, who were married on May 31;
• Roddy Prest and Julia Young, who were married on June14;
• Beverly and Gerry Brown, who celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on June 14; and
• Philip and Katheryn O’Connell, who will celebrate 50 years on June 27.
Denise (Mackenzie) and Jonathan Wells welcomed a baby boy on May 29. Denise is the daughter of Frank MacKenzie of Upper Stewiacke and Audrey Mackenzie of Musquodoboit and makes her home in B.C.
Congratulations to the following students from the Stewiacke Valley who are graduating Grade 12:
• Dillon Ellis, son of Randy and Crista Ellis
• Kelsey Crowe, daughter of Jamie and Shawn Crowe
• Rebecca Drenth, daughter of Stella and Stephen Drenth
• Kylee Graham, daughter of Gerrold and Jody Graham
• Nicole Miller, daughter of Krista and the late Rob Miller
• Cody Graham, son of Todd and Shawna Graham
• Adrienna Volans, daughter of Doug and Cathy Volans
• Kyle Black, son of Robin and Tammy Cleveland
• Nicole Collier, daughter of Hugh and Kathleen Collier
• Chelsea Davis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Davis
• Brandi Davis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Davis
• Hiltie Vanderschaar, daughter of Sybren and Sandra Vanderschaar
• Julie Cochrane (home school), daughter of Frank and Lisa Cochrane
• Nicole Hamilton, daughter of Randy and Kim Hamilton, graduated from NSCC Akeley campus with Auto Collision, Repair and Refinishing.
• Carly O’Neil, daughter of Robert and Kelly O’Neil, graduated from Acadia with a BSC in Kinesiology.
• Carly Wright, daughter of Lynn and Miles Wright, graduated from St. Francis Xavier.
• Michaela Benvie, daughter of Allistar and Jane Benvie, graduated from Olds College in Alberta with Veterinary Assistant.
• Brad Prest, son of Marvin and Rosalie Prest, graduated from St. Mary’s with a degree in political science.
• Amber MacLean Hawes, daughter of Shawna MacLean Hawes and Walter Hawes, graduated from Dalhousie with BS in chemistry.
Get well wishes to Sharon Lemmon.
A Strawberry–Salad supper will be held in Middle Stewiacke Church on July 9 from 4:30 to 6 p.m.
Vacation Bible School will be held at Upper Stewiacke church and hall on July 28 to August 1, from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. each day. The theme of this year’s bible school is FROG: Forever Rely On God. By DLTK. For more information, call Karyn Prest at 902-671-2888.
Margaret Johnson is a long-time resident of Upper Stewiacke. If you would like your community event to appear in her column, email email@example.com.