Moncton shooter in custody

Published on June 6, 2014
Moncton rcmp shootings

Published on 05 June 2014

RCMP thought for a time the suspect responsible for killing three officers and injuring two more Wednesday evening was in a building near the corner of Killam Drive and Mountain Road in Moncton Thursday afternoon.<br />Christopher Gooding – Amherst News

Photos by

Moncton: the day after

Published on 05 June 2014

Believing the suspect was in a building near the corner of Killam Drive and Mountain Raod, police increased their numbers.

Photos by Christopher Gooding photo

Moncton: the day after

Published on 05 June 2014

Cpl. Chantal Farrah, RCMP Media Relations Officer, reported Thursday afternoon one of the officers shot last night was released, while the other remains in hospital. "Our number one priority is to locate and apprehend the suspect, and resolve the situation as soon as possible."

Photos by Christopher Gooding photo

Moncton: the day after

Published on 05 June 2014

Media from across Canada are now in Moncton as the manhunt for the 24-year old suspect continues.

Photos by Christopher Gooding photo

Moncton: the day after

Published on 05 June 2014

First in, last out. An explosives robot is the last to leave the a building where the suspect was determined not to be. Police returned their efforts to the Mncton-North area afterwards.

Photos by Christopher Gooding photo

Moncton: the day after

Published on 05 June 2014

The prospect of a standoff wasn't enough for some Monctonions to go about their day, despite police warnings to stay back.

Photos by Christopher Gooding photo

Moncton: the day after

Published on 05 June 2014

Reports the gunman was involved in a shooting near <span class="st"> Angie's Show Palace were not confirmed by officials Thursday, but an officer on the scene indicated </span>the incident on St. Laurent Street was not related to the manhunt.

Photos by Christopher Gooding photo

MONCTON -  An ordeal lasting more than a day, keeping many in the Moncton area on edge, is over.

RCMP in New Brunswick announced just after 1 a.m. that 24-year-old Justin Bourque was in police custody.

"Justin Bourque arrested by RCMP at 12:10 in Moncton. He is in police custody. Residents of north Moncton can now leave their homes," said a tweet from RCMP New Brunswick at 1:30 a.m.

The hunt for Bourque started just after 7:30 p.m. when three officers responding to a complain in north-end Moncton were fatally wounded. RCMP rushed into the area from throughout the province, Nova Scotia and P.E.I. and residents in the area were locked down in their homes, told to keep their doors locked and to stay off the street.

Bourque was reportedly seen three times early Thursday and police cordoned off a portion of Mountain Road in Moncton and converged in a rooming house on information he may have been there.

All schools and many businesses in the Moncton area were shut down for the day and police urged people to remain in their homes Thursday night. They were also asked to turn on their  homes' outdoor lights to help police with the search.

Details of Bourque's arrest were not immediately available although various media sources have footage of him being apprehended and place in a police cruiser.

Earlier in the day, RCMP said it was the worst day in the history of policing in New Brunswick. It was the worst mass shooting of police since the killing of three officers in Mayerthorpe, Alta in 2005.

The National Post reported late Thursday that one of the three officers killed was Const. Dave Ross, a police dog handler, married with one child and another child on the way.