MacKay wont commit on civic centre timing

Staff ~ The Truro Daily News

TRURO - Federal politician Peter MacKay is not saying exactly when funding for a local civic centre will arrive.
He does, however, say it will be very soon.
"I hope to be back here very soon ... in the very near future. Your patience will pay off," MacKay, the Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, said Sunday. MacKay was in town announcing $855,000 federal funding for renovations to the Colchester Legion Stadium. Renovations began in the summer.
"That (money) is not a substitute in any way for the civic centre funding," assured MacKay.
Funding for the civic centre is of "enormous importance," he said, adding he had hoped money would have been made available in the fall. He said that didn't happen because the area was in the midst of a byelection, filling the void in the seat vacated by then MP Bill Casey. Scott Armstrong went on to win the Conservative seat for Cumberland Colchester Musquodoboit Valley.
MacKay said the holdup now is an administrative one.
Everything "appears in place ... it's an administrative challenge. The funding is through the Department of Transport and it has had its busiest period in decades," MacKay told the Truro Daily News, adding funding for the project is "one of the province's priorities."
Truro Mayor Bill Mills said he's hopeful the funding will come into fruition, regardless of the timeline. "It doesn't matter when as long as it comes," Mills said.
Armstrong said he's confident money will be forthcoming. "They are working their way through bureaucratic hurdles," Armstrong said.
"People ask when it will come. I think there's a general acceptance it will come ... I don't see anything stopping the money from coming."

mchiasson@trurodaily.com

Organizations: National Defence, Department of Transport, Truro Daily News

Geographic location: Colchester Legion Stadium, Cumberland Colchester Musquodoboit Valley

Comments

Comments

• Tasman
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

No we don't need it. They well to do in the town want it and they are the only ones going to be able to use it. If they want it let them pay for it. Why are they renovating the old stadium if we are getting a new one. $855 000 could feed, clothe and house a lot of people who need the help in the area.

• Mr
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

He won't commit to it b/c its impossible to defend. Look right now the middle class is struggling, most of us working stiffs watch as our paychecks shrink while everything else goes up.There has to be other options. Now I do know that the feds will only give their share if the town raises it's share(10 million) and it all has to go towards the civic center. To bad 50.000.000 in a community likes this could do a lot more than build one building

• flogger
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

Infastructure funds will take a while to flow through the levels of bureaucracy at the federal level, no matter who is in power. That's just the way it works. Everybody take a deep breath and stop whining.

• Skep Tic
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

This center could add $500 or more per year to local and county property taxes just to build it. No numbers have been released as to actual operating costs.......which will add more. Really, do we need this white elephant?

• Abolish Councils NOW
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

Abolish Truro & County Councils NOW!!!
    Before we are in debt for the next 30 years.

Hold a public vote for the project, let the majority decide. We all know why this has not happened.

• chief wiggam
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

why not build it at the power center there will be no increases in taxes,it is in the town of truro,plus they also have lots of moneys!(although govt also) to throw at this project. why not do that and avoid any increase in taxes???

• Mike
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

I'll try this comment again -
    thank you Mr. McKay for your statement on the funding for the new civic center. As you have proven over and over again, your word can be trusted.

• Reg
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

It makes no sense to spend all this money when a new stadium is being built. We need a new mayor.

• Gilliad
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

Calm down, folks, it will be a very hot day in winter before this project is even put on the drawing boards, let alone finished.

To quote Mr. MacKay:
    Federal politician Peter MacKay is not saying exactly when funding for a local civic centre will arrive. He does, however, say it will be very soon.

Translation:
    He thinks the NDP government will annoy enough uninformed people that there will be another provincial election within the next year or two, and the Conservatives will get back in.

Of course he still hasn't answered the question, but then, he'll be gone by then too - well, at least we can hope - and he won't have to worry about anything he said in the final days of 2009. Just like the rest of the federal government toadies.

See, you just have to learn how to speak politic-ese!

• tmac
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

The county council has to sell this to the residents who are going to pay for this project, so far they have not stated just what we will be paying for. I hear that there are 2 pools in the plans, one public and one for competitive swimming. Someone is going to have to prove that the competitive pool can pay for itself. I believe that the cost will be far greater than any money that will ever be generated. We have 2 pools here now that are losing money and will be shut down when and if this project is finished. A competitive pool will
    Benefit a very small group of people and the very large expense will have to be paid for by all residents of Colchester County. The competitive pool is a white elephant. Drop the second pool and add an additional ice surface. I ask that council state just what it is going to cost each tax payer per year and for how long.
    I believe that this project is needed and I will be happy to pay my fair share- within reason. We the taxpayers want to have a say - we are the ones paying for it. All levels of government get their money from one source- taxpayers- please pay attention to our concerns and allow us input , IT IS OUR MONEY.

• JMc
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

Mr. Mills and Councillors -- Many of us out here do not have the incomes that apparently people must have in order to live in the Town of Truro. One would think with all the construction that has gone on over the last two years that our taxes would go down. Instead they go up and up and up every year. Are you people trying to get rid of the senior citizens who still remain in their own houses? Obviously you people possess no compassion for the unwealthy.

• Jon
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

Come on now. Just because some people don't want it doesn't mean it shouldn't be built. It should be built for those who do want it and those people alone.

I, just like everyone else, pay taxes out the backside that fund projects I have no interest in. Why should I fund a library I'll never use? Why should I be funding schools my children will never go to? Why should I be funding roads I'll never drive or sidewalks I'll never walk?

I'll tell you why - because it's not just about me. I'm OK with it because I understand that. The economy is not as bad as the fear mongers make it out to be - especially if you're motivated. Of all countries in the world, Canada has remained one of the best performers in this global economic struggle. We're not experiencing near the trouble the US is experiencing and we won't.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Truro wants to lower taxes they need to attract new people. If they want to attract new people they need to provide a more appealing variety of services and get with the times.

As long as our town continues on this plateau (even the occasional backslide), the only thing we can expect is a declining population which translates into higher taxes for the remaining residents.

• John
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

Hi Gilliad,

how is it, exactly, that we'll have another provincial election in a year or two? It's a majority government. The opposition can vote against them as much as they want, they can vote to bring the government down as much as they want. But, with a majority government, it doesn't matter. The opposition doesn't have the numbers. The NDP are in place for AT LEAST four years. No less.

P.S. - Peter MacKay will NOT lose an election in Pictou County. If he runs, he wins. I'd be willing to bet my next pay cheque on it.

P.P.S - The civic centre project is already on the drawing board. I've seen the plans and conceptual DRAWINGS. Not to mention that at least one person is already being gainfully employed by this project. (Fundraising and PR person) I would guess that's a pretty good indication that the project will go ahead.