Bearcats land Fred Page Cup

Latest News

TRURO – The Fred Page Cup is coming to Truro in 2013.

The Truro Bearcats were awarded the Eastern Canadian junior A hockey championship Monday morning by the Maritime Junior Hockey League and premier sponsor Kent.

The Bearcats last hosted the event in 2002 and will host junior A champions from the MHL, the Quebec Junior AAA Hockey League and Ontario’s Central Junior A Hockey League.

The Bearcats made their presentation just over a week ago to a selection committee in Moncton. The Amherst Ramblers, who have never hosted the event, were the only other MHL squad to bid.

It will be an excellent way for the team to showcase it’s new home as the Central Nova Scotia Civic Centre is scheduled to open in the fall of 2012.

“We’re very excited with this announcement, especially with the new facility being in place in time for the tournament,” Bearcats owner Stu Rath said in a release.

“We were successful with the event in 2002, so we’re very pleased to host the Fred Page Cup again in Truro.”

Specific dates for the event have yet to be announced.

Organizations: Maritime Junior Hockey League, Quebec Junior AAA Hockey League, Central Nova Scotia Civic Centre

Geographic location: TRURO, Ontario, Moncton

Comments

Comments

• Growler
    December 08, 2011 - 13:50

Hi Jimbo, what do you mean, "it sounds like I missed a hell of a hockey game" You mean you were not there throwing money on the ice for the sake of the players, lol. Your going to the place for unsupportive fans when you die.

• JIMBO
    December 07, 2011 - 09:45

Everyone has a valid point, but everyone is forgetting the players. If you're not going to go to the game don't do it because of them. They work hard every night win or lose. They deserve better. Better that all these people creating excuses not to go. Why bother commenting? Is everyone in this town a fair weather fan??? Please don't respond to this comment using the same silly excuse about lack of local players. It's not going to happen. Not in Truro, and not anywhere else. Embrace the guys who play and live in your community and some day become fellow citizens. Or don't go to the rink at all, and as we saw in the '80s... have no team at all. Now's the perfect time to change your attitude, Truro.

• Growler
      December 07, 2011 - 17:49

Well before they disband the team, which use to get a ton of support, they should pull their head ( Bearcat Management ) out of the sand and try a few of the suggestions they have been getting since last season, I dont live in that area anymore but I lost interest in the on ice product, I certainly am not going to sit there for three hours and not enjoy the game just to support the players, I dont have anything against the players, they play as their coached. I use to enjoy the games and so did a thousand or so others every Saturday night, I think all the new rule changes are hurting the game as well, its going to be a hard sell for fans when the hockey isnt entertaining anymore, A lot of people dissagree with that but a lot more do agree, look at the attendance, Maybe it (Jr. A) should go, and Truro should go Jr. B, the Brookfield / Truro rivalry would pack the building and the East Hants games would be good too. I dont have the answer but the people were supporting the team so something is wrong, somebody should put on their listening ears and try some things before it is to late. Truro has always had a line drawn through the town, the ones with money, and the rest of the town, maybe its time to treat the working poor, who use to spend money at the games, with a little respect and look at their suggestions and reasons for not supporting the team and LISTEN. Naw that would never work........

• Growler
    December 06, 2011 - 16:39

Oh Jimbo I forgot to address your comment about the Cats beating the Slammers, I wouldnt get to excited about that either, it doesnt matter how good a team is, they will lose at some point, I belive the game must have been the trap at its best and the Slammers also had to deal with the ref, we all know the cats get the better end of the stick when they are at home, Oh Jimbo, I just added a pair of glasses to my wish list for you, ones without the rose colored lenses, do all of us who dont like that style of play a favor, wear the glasses.

• JIMBO
      December 07, 2011 - 09:32

Sounds to me like you missed a hell of a hockey game, Growler!

• The Whole Picture
    December 06, 2011 - 13:11

Good coach maybe, but when you look at this team and how the people are staying away in the hundreds, you have to say he takes some of the blame. Thank the new civic center for landing the Fred Page Cup, the poor people in Cumberland County could not compete with that. Evan"s tried to leave last summer , but the Halifax team hired someone else. Might be time for a fresh start for him and the team next summer. 450 fan's and you had the number one ranked team in Canada here, some thing has to change in Truro, and I think it should be looked at behind the bench. You here all the time "He's a good boy, just didn't fit in with the team" maybe time for Brass to say he was a good coach, but just didn't fit in and bring fans to the games.

• JIMBO IS BALD
    December 06, 2011 - 11:36

Hey, Growler... Is beating the number one Junior team in Canada the result of good coaching? I'd think so. Just ask the players. Every year they recognize him as the best.

• Growler
    December 05, 2011 - 19:24

Thats great news, but since this is a pretty big deal and there might be a lot of fans for a change, growler has a few wishes, call this " Growlers Xmas wish list" 1.Stu, you made millions off that old nag, some beach, do you think I could have a new costume, im tired of holding my head on and it smells. 2. A new pair of black sweat pants would be nice too, and maybe some bear feet instead of sneakers with my bare feet sticking out. 3. A new coach so our team stands a shot at winning. 4. A new security company so our fans can cheer without being eyeballed or spoken to. 5. A raise, one bottle of wine just isnt enough in todays economy. 6. Tickets to another tournament for section one, come on you know section one acts like a side show. I guess thats all for now, Merry Christmas to all the fans, the ones that still have nothing better to do on a weekend anyway, Merry christmas Stu, Shawn and all the rest of the Cats, GRRRRROOOOWWWWWLLLLLLL, GO CATS.

• Buster
    December 05, 2011 - 19:10

Oh, please, chief wiggam, give me a break, you troll. I suppose you missed the words " premier sponsor Kent" there. (Though I actually bet you didn't even read the article.) It says nothing about tax dollars. Also, show me all the tax dollars actually given to local children for the past 11 years when this event wasn't held in Truro. I'd like to see a list of the names of the chidren and the amounts given. Thanks.

• supporter
    December 05, 2011 - 16:33

Do you realize how many people this is going to bring to the town. The three teams that are going to have to stay in our hotels that week, spend money at our attractions...not to mention scouts, fans, parents etc. Heck if you'd look at the roster or support the team for once, you'd know Scott, Moore, Lanceleve, Perigo and Gloade are all from(or grew up in) the area, and they'll all be eligible to play in that tournament.

• chief wiggam
    December 05, 2011 - 11:50

oh great. our tax dollars going to support this rather than local children. as if the money mongers around here didnt need another free ride.

• CiCi
      December 06, 2011 - 10:04

Oh Please Wiggam--You obviously don`t get it---do you even know how many boys from Truro play on the Bearcats?? Instead of whining about it --- why don`t you get out and go to a Sat. night hockey game---Support, Support Support ---and you don`t ever seem to support anything that goes on in this town.