Dream is that one day, abortion will be illegal

Letters to the Editor (The Truro Daily News)

Abortionist Henry Morgentaler's Supreme Court case turned 20 Monday. In that 20 years, more than two million preborn babies have been killed.
It was Jan. 28, 1988 when the Supreme Court of Canada threw out Canada's restrictions on abortion in the infamous Morgentaler decision.
The courts did urge Parliament to draft a new abortion law. Twenty years later, our country has no abortion law or restrictions on the procedure. Abortion is lethal to the preborn baby, and devastating to the pregnant woman both physically and mentally.
Instead of our tax dollars being used to fund abortions, the money should be used to fund more crisis pregnancy resource centres, where women can go to get help until their babies are born.
Mainly, people should know that in Canada abortion is allowed for any reason, even in the last three months of pregnancy. I have seen an illustration of partial birth abortion, which former abortionist,
Dr. Bernard Nathanson says abortion should be called infanticide. I have never shown it to anyone, because it is too disturbing. It is difficult to comprehend how our country would allow such cruelty to our precious preborn children. I have a dream that one day abortion will be illegal and unthinkable.
The public should write or phone their MP and Prime Minister Stephen Harper to inform them that you want action to protect unborn children, and you want a stop to this disgraceful national calamity.
Gail Munro
Truro

Comments

Comments

• Dr. Opinion
    January 18, 2010 - 10:12

This letter is an obvious attempt to get a controversial issue and arguement going. Pointing out all the negatives and not showcasing any of the positive needs. Pretty bored are you? Looking to get a pot stirred up.
    Its called a choice, that's why there are no laws.
    There's your responses started.

• Dr. Opinion
    January 18, 2010 - 10:11

and you should do as well to make abortion a non medical procedure that these people who likely pay into their medical plans have to pay extra out of pocket.
    My insurance pays for my dental and my taxes pay for my medical.
    So your points are invalid

• Dr. Opinion
    January 18, 2010 - 09:49

its invalid because that is what your taxes go to.
    And last time I checked a dental procedure to whiten your teeth is usually not put through yoour insurance.
    anyway...say your last piece, this confab is losing my interest.
    Abortion is a choice a person makes in their life and it requires a medical professional to perform

• curious
    January 18, 2010 - 09:48

With most choices comes responsibility for that choice. So, people who chose to have an abortion should shoulder the responsibility of that choice and pay for it themselves. It should not cost the taxpayer for an individual's choice.

Just like going to the dentist.

• curious
    January 18, 2010 - 09:45

So, should the taxpayer have to pay for my dentist appointments too? It may not be fair but using your logic we can just shrug and say 'oh well' it's not fair but there you go.

If you don't think we should support single mothers on welfare you should talk to your MP about enacting some sort of workfare.

• Dr. Opinion
    January 18, 2010 - 09:44

Shouldn't cost the taxpayer to raise the child of a single mother on welfare either but it does

• Dr. Opinion
    January 18, 2010 - 09:41

My insurance pays for my dental and my taxes pay for my medical.
    So your points are invalid

• curious
    January 18, 2010 - 09:40

That was my original point. Right now our taxes go to it. They shouldn't because it's not a necessary medical procedure - it's a choice. Her choice, her responsibility - her bill. Easy.
    Broken leg? Taxes pay.
    Face lift? You pay.
    Liver transplant? Taxes.
    Certain fertility treatments or abortion? The person making the request because it's their CHOICE should pay.

• curious
    January 18, 2010 - 09:39

How is it invalid to expect people to pay for medical procedures that are a matter of 'choice' like abortion or cosmetic surgery or teeth whitening? I never said it should not be covered by insurance - that's where it belongs, not on the taxpayer's bill.

With choice comes the responsibility to pay for it.