Water pipe break sends seniors out into the cold

Staff ~ The Truro Daily News
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

SHUBENACADIE - A water leak, not fire, sent residents of the Sunnybrook Manor out into the bone-chilling cold Wednesday evening.
John Malloy, chief of the Shubenacadie Fire and Emergency Services, said members responded to a call to the 20-unit seniors complex about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
"Upon arrival at the seniors complex, the initial crews found all the residents standing outside in approximately -13 (degrees Celius) weather conditions," Malloy said.
A break in a water pipe, fed by the boiler, caused heated water to run into the crawl space above the laundry room. The water then ran down through the ceiling onto the first floor outside the residents' common room, blocking access in the process.
Assisted by the Shubenacadie Royal Canadian Legion and the ladies auxiliary, the fire department used its rescue units and residents' vehicles to transfer the seniors to the legion, where they took temporary refuge from the cold.
One resident, who complained of not feeling well, was transported to hospital by ambulance for observation.
Assistance was also offered by the Red Cross but it was not needed because the seniors were allowed back into their residences by about 9 p.m.

Organizations: Shubenacadie Fire and Emergency Services, Shubenacadie Royal Canadian Legion, Red Cross

Geographic location: SHUBENACADIE

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page