Voter dissatisfaction common on campaign trail

Darrell
Darrell Cole

Liberal candidate says voters tired of Conservatives

EDITOR'S NOTE: Third in a series of Cumberland-Colchester-Musuodoboit Valley candidate profiles. Tomorrow, watch for NDP candidate Wendy Robinson.

By Darrell Cole

Transcontinental Media

TRURO - Jim Burrows is hearing a common thread among the voters as he campaigns in both sides of the riding for the May 2 election.

The Liberal candidate in Cumberland-Colchester-Musquodoboit Valley is

hearing voter dissatisfaction with the Conservative government under Prime

Minister Stephen Harper and they are ready to go in another direction.

"One of the main things I'm hearing is people are tired of Stephen Harper,

it's something I'm hearing at a lot of doorsteps," said Burrows as he

campaigned in Amherst. "They feel we have a government that

ignores democracy and doesn't respect them."

This is Burrows second attempt at winning the seat for the Liberals in this riding. He finished third to Conservative Scott Armstrong in the 2009 byelection to replace longtime Conservative and Independent MP Bill Casey.

That time Burrow's campaign was a little slow getting out of the gate and never seemed to garner much momentum and the end result was a

disappointment. This time, however, he has been maintaining a hectic

schedule between his Green Oak farm near Truro and traveling from one end of the riding to the other talking to people and community groups in

preparation for an election call he expected in the spring.

As much as this riding has not been friendly to the Liberals, having only

gone Liberal in 1993 before going back to the Tories in 1997, Burrows is

confident of a significant breakthrough for the party.

Along with hearing how upset people are with the Conservatives, he is

also hearing a couple of other common themes including dissatisfaction with negative attack ads and a young population that is increasingly indifferent to the political process.

It's something Burrows saw as he went door to door.

"I have no interest in politics," said one resident who did not want to give

his name. "Liberal, Conservative it's all the same. I didn't vote last time

and I'm not going to vote this time because it doesn't make a difference."

Burrows has a simple request for the voters who feel disenfranchised and

those who doubt their vote will count.

"Help me be part of the team that gets Stephen Harper out of there," he

said. "People are upset with politics in general and don't want to vote. One

of the messages I've been giving them is a non-vote is a vote for Stephen

Harper."

dcole@amherstdaily.com

Organizations: Conservatives, NDP

Geographic location: TRURO, Cumberland-Colchester-Musuodoboit Valley, Cumberland-Colchester-Musquodoboit Valley Amherst Green Oak

Comments

Comments

• TiredofLying
    April 18, 2011 - 19:55

I'll vote for a constituent defender, not a Party-Person. Scott Armstrong is no Bill Casey and will NOT get my vote this time around!

• dave
    April 14, 2011 - 11:39

they all all alike - think they can spend my money better than i can....and want to spend more and more of it on the vested interest of each party (i call them the parasite class). i want less - less interference, less taxes...and more self responsibility - guess i should move.

• Lisa
    April 14, 2011 - 11:10

"One of the messages I've been giving them is a non-vote is a vote for Stephen Harper." says Jim Burrows. Well great to see that the liberals are sticking very close to their message "cause a vote for the Liberals is a vote for Michael Ignatieff." Here is the big picture for Mr.Burrows, our votes will not reflect what the leader of any party does, they will still have a seat somewhere in parliament and they will still create petty arguments over things, just so they can say they had something to say about it. If I vote, it will be for the person I think and hope will have a better impact on this community, and let me tell you so far you have not done anything but resort to the same childish behavior that your leader resorts to. You need to do some research Mr.Burrows and realize that being in the press everyday will not help your campaign, unless of course you are looking to sink yourself.

• Jason Francis
    April 14, 2011 - 10:54

Negative attacks for a negative government. Change is needed and warrented. Harper's got to go and so does Armstrong. The entire country knows this. Jim Burrows has my vote, as I don't fully trust the NDP. Jim - Your doing a great job.. keep it going!

• Colchester Sun
    April 14, 2011 - 08:56

I see the Cons' moles are out to massage public opinion. There is nothing wrong with a person who does not get his name in the paper every day to run for office. It is obvious he was not invited to the electioneering spending announcements so he could comment in the paper. Get real.

• Boring
    April 14, 2011 - 08:06

Same old boring things from a party that for the last few years puts names forward that 90% of the people don't even know. Great to be from Green Oaks, but when your names never in the paper until election time, good luck.

• L.C.
    April 14, 2011 - 06:48

It struck me as ironic to see the reference in this story to negative attacks. The Liberal candidate started his campaign with a press release containing an aggressive personal attack against the current MP. This attack was unusual in that it was not policy or platform based, it was personal. The Truro Daily News wrote an editorial identifying that the Liberal candidate had crossed the line. So if he wants to think about why people are turned off by negative politics he needs to start his study close to home!