Dog saves the day when fire starts in Annapolis County home

Heather Killen
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

CLARENCE - Volunteer firefighters may have saved the house, but Sally saved the day.

Francine Connell's dog, Sally, saved the day when she alerted Connell a fire started in the spare room.

Gary and Francine Connell, of Clarence, said it was Sally, their year-and-a-half-old lab, who alerted Francine when the fire broke out in the spare room, around 10 a.m. this morning.

“She jumped on me and kept jumping, ” said Francine Connell, who was the only one home at the time. She added the smoke was so thick inside she couldn’t really see, but somehow the pair made it safely outside.

Almost an hour later, smoke was still pouring from the windows of the home as fire fighters contained the blaze inside.

Bridgetown Fire Chief Randy Sheridan said that volunteers from Bridgetown, Lawrencetown, Annapolis Royal and Middleton responded to the fire. They were able to save the family home, although there is fire and smoke damage in one room.

The Department of Transportation blocked the road in front of the house, while firefighters doused the blaze. Emergency Health Service paramedics were also onsite as a precaution, as the hot temperatures posed an additional risk for fire fighters.

Organizations: Annapolis Royal, Department of Transportation, Health Service

Geographic location: Bridgetown, Annapolis County

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page