TRURO – Here are some of the stories readers have been following and discussing on trurodaily.com this week.
Shelley Austin, owner of Sea Shell Design in downtown Truro, says she has witnessed plenty of loitering in the area and it’s “definitely” an issue. Monique Chiasson – Truro Daily News
“I think it’s a sin that we are being slammed for spending time downtown. I personally spend quite a bit of time (not to mention money) downtown. I also spend hours a week downtown trying to socialize my dog who is a rescue. Take away our rights to spend time where we want, for as long as we want to be there? Truro is turning into (and has been for years) a place where no young person wants to live, and if you have grown up here…where nobody wants to stay. And business owners and common folk with opinions like this lady do not make the situation any better!”
“As Opposition Critic for Agriculture and Comm., Culture and Heritage, I think it is fairly standard to get to speak to the people involved in these industries. No different than Jamie Baillie’s Jobs “Tour.””
“The cruelty and total senselessness of this act is totally disgusting. Wrangler was such a sweet, loving cat who was so loved by this woman and her two kids. I have watched the bond between the family and Wrangler grow and this has left a void in a wonderful family.”
“A group of us had a conversation regarding this matter a few days ago. This household is all for it and it is a splendid idea. So much looking forward to this summer service. Thank you.”
– June Marshall
“Congratulations, Matthew! Enjoy your summer!”
– Judy Ettinger
Hot clicks (top viewed stories):
- Downtown debate: Published online on July 17: A downtown business owner is voicing her concerns over loitering on Inglis Place after seeing a man asleep on a bench for three hours last week.
- Gift cards deemed valueless by closing of Truro health spa to be partly redeemed by competitor: Published online on July 14: After BellaSante Holistic Health Centre and Spa closed abruptly earlier this month, competitor Life SalonSpa has announced it will redeem partial gift cards that still have some value.
- Owner of Truro cat viciously killed by stranger left feeling ‘violated’ and ‘angry’: Published online on July 15: Julie Chisholm is feeling the void in her and her children’s life after a 29-year-old man attacked and killed their family cat. Wrangler, who was adopted from the SPCA a couple of years ago, was on the family’s doorstep in the early morning hours when the man coaxed him off the step before picking him up by the legs and swinging him down to the ground.
- Dustan Preeper’s aunt speaks out, says nephew has ADD, Aspergers: Published online on July 16: The aunt of Dustan Preeper wasn’t surprised when her nephew had an outburst in court Wednesday during sentencing for the murder of Ben Hare because Preeper has Asperger “tendencies,” as well as ADD.
- North River man receives jail time for assault with a vehicle: Published online on July 18: David William Johnston, 40, of 220 Mountain Lee Rd., was sentenced to nine months in jail after pleading guilty to assault causing bodily harm by running into another man with his car. Johnston, a well-known magician in the area, was also given a one-month concurrent sentence for attempting to administer a noxious substance – anti-depressant pills – to the man.
Most discussed (top five stories with reader comments):