Owner of Truro cat viciously killed by stranger left feeling ‘violated’ and ‘angry’

Harry Sullivan

TRURO – It just doesn’t make any sense.

Julie Chisholm pauses in her thoughts and struggles to try to come to terms with why someone – a complete stranger – would so senselessly and viciously kill her “best friend” and family pet.

“He took him by the legs and swung him over his head (before slamming her cat to the ground),” she said, of the report she received from an eyewitness to the grisly event.

“And I just couldn’t believe it. I can’t fathom (why),” she said, her voice trailing off.

Truro Police have charged a 29-year-old man in relation to the cat’s death that occurred about 3:20 a.m. Saturday on Fairview Drive where Chisholm lives.

Police said they were informed by an eyewitness that the man allegedly coaxed the cat off a doorstep then grabbed it by the hind legs, lifted it over his head and swung it down into the ground.

“He was my best friend. We had naps together, we ate together,” the mother of two young children said, of her three-year-old cat Wrangler.

“He was a very friendly cat,” she said, of the pet her children picked out at the SPCA a couple of years ago.

The man, who has yet to be identified, is expected to appear in provincial court next month. Chisholm said she plans to be there during the hearing but in the meantime, she is left with feelings of anger and of being “violated.”

“I’ve been snappier,” she said, of her mood since learning of the cat’s death.

“I can’t tell the kids,” what actually happened, she said, preferring instead to tell them it was killed by a car.

Normally, she said, Wrangler comes into the house for the night but last Saturday he was later returning than normal.

And after waiting in vain all day Saturday for her buddy to return, it wasn’t until that evening that she began seeing Facebook postings about the senseless killing and began to piece the puzzle together.

“I’ve been having a tough time. It’s rough,” she said. “Like, there’s so many things going through my head and they’re not good … .

“I’m very angry. I just want justice to be served.”

hsullivan@trurodaily.com

Twitter: @tdnharry

Geographic location: Fairview Drive

Comments

Comments

• Przemyslaw Zychowski
    July 18, 2014 - 00:45

What is wrong with people?

• libbybit
    July 16, 2014 - 18:36

It's scary knowing a monster like that is walking the streets!!! Heartbreaking for the owner .

• jackduffy
    July 16, 2014 - 15:03

How come they won't release this scumbag's name.Serial killers start out by killing animals watch out for this freak.

• Bob
      July 20, 2014 - 11:43

The name can be found out in court. I for one am on a mission to find this guy. His identity can be hidden only for now. If anyone knows of his wherabout please email animaldefendercfy@gmail.com

• chief wiggam
    July 16, 2014 - 14:31

If it was for drugs they wouldn't have a problem putting the name out!!

• SICKENED
    July 16, 2014 - 14:12

As a parent of a child in that neighborhood or any other neighborhood for that matter, not only would I like to know if he lives nearby, but think we have a right to know who this sociopath is...if he's capable of doing what he has done its not a big leap to think he could cross that line and hurt another person or god forbid a child...after all there was an eye witness, he didn't seem too concerned someone was going to see him.

• S
    July 16, 2014 - 12:43

I keep reading how people feel that this act was so “senseless". Although I agree that it was a horrible thing to do, I also fear that the individual who did this will only escalate. I sincerely hope the courts order a psychiatric evaluation and with the results, they can put this guy away and prevent any further damage-because this was not, nor will it be, an isolated incident. (in my opinion)

• CatLady
    July 16, 2014 - 09:41

Any updates on when his court date is and what his name is? It is important that the public knows who this evil excuse for a human being is!

• angryashell
    July 16, 2014 - 07:14

I want to know what the idiot cowards name is so that if he is around my neighborhood I will know to lock my pets in the house. Takes a big man to do what he did. I hope his parents are proud of him.

• Wandy
      July 16, 2014 - 15:02

It's no ones fault but his; certainly not his parents. He did this all on his own.

• Aurora
      July 21, 2014 - 19:35

The man is 29 years old. I would think at this point his crimes are his own and should not be a reflection of his parents.

• tammy
    July 16, 2014 - 02:36

the cruelty and total senselessness of this act is totally disgusting, Wrangler was such a sweet loving cat who was so loved by this woman and her two kids, I have watched the bond between the family and Wrangler grow and this has left a void in a wonderful family

• Bras D'or Laker
    July 16, 2014 - 01:46

This is just awful. So sorry for your loss. I hope the person who did this monstrous act is actually held responsible for their actions.