Doors close for decade-old Truro spa

TRURO – A “Closed” sign in the front window of a prominent spa in downtown Truro on a Wednesday morning is an unusual event.

A woman arriving at about 10 a.m. was surprised to see a note posted to the locked red door of the BellaSante Holistic Health Centre & Spa at 604 Prince St.

“I had an appointment this morning,” she said. Confused, she left the doorstep wondering what to do about touching up a leg-waxing job, which had begun two weeks prior at the spa.

No one answered a knock on the door.

Early Wednesday morning the business issued a press release to the Truro Daily News indicating after a decade of operating on Prince Street in the heart of Downtown Truro, it has ceased operations effective immediately.

“This decision is one that was formed once it was recognized that it was no longer economically viable to continue to operate,” said Chantale Hache, founder and owner, in the release. “I want to send a heartfelt thank you to the clients who have supported BellaSante over the years and to my colleagues in the business community who have been longtime supporters.”

Calls to the spa were not answered Wednesday morning.

The business was awarded the Best of Colchester, Best Day Spa consecutively in 2012 and 2013.

It offered a full range of spa and health services.

“It’s sad to see but it is a very competitive sector of the local economy and I’m sure with Chantale’s business acumen she’ll bounce back in another type of business, let’s hope,” said Alan Johnson, executive director of the Truro and Colchester Chamber of Commerce.

“She’s too valuable to the business community to disappear and I’m sure we’ll be in touch with her to find out what her plans are."

News of the sudden closure also shocked and saddened registered psychologist Jeannette Kennedy, calling the spa “near and dear to my heart.”

“I rented private practice office space for over five years, prior to relocating independently to an office in Stewiacke in 2011,” she said in an email to the Truro Daily News. “ I enjoyed being part of a holistic health team that consisted of highly experienced and diverse staff.”

Comments

Comments

• Karen code
    July 10, 2014 - 18:47

I have a gift certificate for a 90 minute facial that is well over $100. How do I get my money back as I already paid for it

• Former Client 2
    July 10, 2014 - 06:14

She likely did what she had to do. She is a lady of integrity. I am sure she will help refund customers in some form. A closed opportunity only opens another door. Great location next to some of the TOWNS best achievements. 2CENTS

• Wandy
      July 10, 2014 - 07:08

But she didn't even let customers who had appointments the VERY next day know. Doesn't sound like a lady of integrity....

• Concerned
      July 10, 2014 - 10:42

Integrity?? She left her employees jobless with no notice and didn't even have the decency to give them their last paycheck. If she isn't paying her staff money owed I doubt she plans to help refund customers.

• citizen
    July 10, 2014 - 01:15

This is the second one in recent history who closed with no notice, employees left without work, customers left with useless gift certificates. There needs to be a law to protect consumers in this situation. No one is going to get a lawyer to fight for a $100 gift cert. It is underhanded and dishonest. The Chamber of Commerce is preaching her praises after she does this to her clients. No wonder business after business is closing in Truro with a Chamber of Commerce who values this behavior.

• Kelly Sanders
    July 09, 2014 - 23:40

Maybe the staff will band together, reopen the spa and honor the gift certificates. If not maybe one of the staff will be charitable and honor the certificates.

• Former Client
    July 09, 2014 - 20:36

I, too, am stuck holding a $100 gift certificate.. Alan Johnson says, "“It’s sad to see but it is a very competitive sector of the local economy and I’m sure with Chantale’s business acumen she’ll bounce back in another type of business, let’s hope,” “She’s too valuable to the business community to disappear and I’m sure we’ll be in touch with her to find out what her plans are lose." What's sad is Chantelle is a business woman who underhandedly took from her peers and community right up to a few hours before locking the doors showing no respect for her employees. She must have had a rude awakening this morning and decided it was no longer economically viable after 10 years and didn't bother to open the door! Sad indeed. Sadder still is that Alan is right.. she'll bounce back nicely. I wonder what her staff will do tomorrow.

• Wandy
      July 10, 2014 - 07:10

I can't believe he condones that!!

• Client
    July 09, 2014 - 18:57

SPinder- just so you are clear the certificate was quite a bit more then $40.00 so yes I am angry! Also I as not blaming Cancer Society for the spa closing their door! I was saying that it did not look good for them! And I did recive gift certiicate for a services, not a donation, if I wanted to send a donation I would has sent that directly...so I still loss just as other customers that have gift certificates! By the way I am a Cancer Survivor. You have Awesome Day!

• Former Client
    July 09, 2014 - 14:40

Owner seem to be lacking in customer service and proper way to treat staff. This doesn't surprise me at all that she would close it up without any warning. Business declines for a reason and it starts with and stops with the owner-manager! Its a sin for the wonderful staff she had and clients that they get the crappy end of the deal while she runs off with the money and starts her next adventure. Only one left suffering now is the employees and customers and unfortunitely our government and laws let them get away with it. Best of Luck to all the great staff I am sure you will find a much more rewarding and better place to use your skills!

• Upset Client
    July 09, 2014 - 14:27

I have a $100 gift certificate to this business, how will I get my money back now??

• Client
    July 09, 2014 - 13:22

I am not very pleased with this as I also have a gift certificate and it was for a silent auction for the Canadian Cancer Society! Yes I supported the auction but I only did that so I would get something out of it...now I get nothing...looks good on the Cancer Society too

• SPinder
      July 09, 2014 - 14:02

"I only did that so I would get something out of it"...and then to blame the Canadian Cancer Society that you're out, what like $40 for probably a $100 treatment like it's somehow THEIR fault that this spa closed down? Your misguided intentions are by no way the fault of a non-profit trying to raise bucks for a cause that is more important than your vanity. I feel bad for those who won't get their money back from gift certificates, but yours was a donation. Are you honestly going to go to the fundraisers and demand your money back? Benevolence is dead I guess.

• SHERRY
    July 09, 2014 - 13:03

what to do if you have a gift certificate ???

• Kim
      July 09, 2014 - 22:09

We have two, one I got for Mothers Day and one we purchased as a gift for my mother in law. I feel like this lady as stole from us by leaving us hanging. To hear the Chamber say that they are sure she will be back in another business. Who would support someone who ditched her staff and customers like that. What Chamber of Commerce would support that?

• Rob
    July 09, 2014 - 11:48

What is it about salons and spas in this town suddenly shutting their doors and leaving their clients in the lurch. C'mon? People made the decision to close the doors before Tuesday night. Pretty crappy thing to not give warning or at least have the decency to call those with appts and cancel them.

• Brian
    July 09, 2014 - 10:09

Too bad.... Not even a thank you for her staff that are suddenly out of work.

• Client
    July 09, 2014 - 09:48

So, those who have gift certificates are out luck? I don't understand this overnight closing. Don't companies see it coming and can't they give people, especially their staff, notice - even a week? Awful.