DARTMOUTH - Two Dartmouth schools were put in a hold and secure pattern Wednesday morning after police received a report of a threat against a student, but a suspect was arrested without any weapons found.
© Metro Halifax/Jeff Harper
Const. Pierre Bourdages speaks to reporters outside the Dartmouth Metro Transit terminal on Wednesday.
Halifax Regional Police spokesman Const. Pierre Bourdages said officers responded after a Dartmouth High School female student received a threatening text message. Another student then alerted administrators to the text, who contacted police.
Dartmouth High School was on hold and secure for about 30 minutes, while Bicentennial School was closed for about 10 minutes as police searched for a specific individual who was later arrested on Main Street in Dartmouth.
‚ÄúThere was no indication that the suspect was ever around the school,‚ÄĚ Bourdages said.
The 18-year-old was arrested around 11:15 a.m. and has been charged with public mischief and will appear in court at a later date.
Bourdages said this is the fourth suspicious incident in the last week, alongside the Public Gardens lockdown and a man with a gun reported in Burnside, but ‚Äúpeople are doing the right thing‚ÄĚ by reporting what they observe.
Halifax Regional School Board spokesperson Doug Hadley said the suspect is not a student at either school.
While in the hold and secure pattern, no one was allowed to enter or exit the schools, but classes continued as normal inside. ‚Äď with files from Braedon Clark.