Centre Burlington home destroyed in early morning blaze

Carole Morris-Underhill, Hants Journal
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

A Centre Burlington resident will be looking for a new place to call home after an early morning fire destroyed her two-storey abode June 6.

The local fire department received the call for help at 2:15 a.m. Friday.

Summerville Fire Chief Chris Spencer said they arrived on scene in about 15 minutes, and requested mutual aid to assist them in battling the early morning blaze.

Several Brooklyn firefighters worked alongside Summerville firefighters to extinguish the flames. Also providing mutual aid were Walton, Mt. Uniacke and Windsor fire departments.

The firefighters were on scene for more than three hours to ensure the fire was completely out.

Spencer said it took some time to track down the homeowner, who was at work, but managed touch base. He said she was en route from Dartmouth around 5:30 a.m.

“It's not a very good event to have to come home to,” said Spencer, who noted the owner indicated she had house insurance.

The homeowner's dog survived the ordeal, as it was in its doghouse when the fire broke out.

“The animal appeared very upset, very shaken given the circumstances,” said Spencer, who noted the fire department had a hose line dedicated to protecting the pooch at all times in case the fire were to spread.

There was no sign, however, of the two cats that were thought to be inside the home at the time of the fire, he noted.

Although the home, located along Highway 215 in the 3,000 block, will need to be torn down, the fire chief said the homeowner didn't lose everything.

“(The adjacent shed) sustained roof damage, however, the contents of the shed — the lawn tractor and a lot of seasonal items — are still intact and salvageable,” said Spencer.

Spencer said the fire is under investigation but it's not considered suspicious at this time.

“At this stage in the investigation, it's early for me to pinpoint the exact source,” said Spencer, noting they believe the fire started in the living room.


Geographic location: Brooklyn, Uniacke, Dartmouth

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page