TRURO – A request to extend a development agreement to allow an apartment building on Park Street in Truro has been denied.
Potential Park Street development suggested to ‘go back to the drawing board’
During the regular monthly Truro town council meeting on Monday, council voted four-to-one against a request by Truro developer Ron Wallace to have a one-year extension for a development agreement to permit a multiple unit residential development consisting of two buildings with a total of 102 units at 16 Park St.
The project had already been given a two-year extension, which was up in March. Wallace told council, via a letter that was read at the meeting this week, that an extension would be beneficial because of current rental market conditions, including a high vacancy rate.
Coun. Raymond Tynes was the lone councillor who voted to allow the extension, adding one area of concern has been consistently worked on.
“A concern was flooding … but work on (nearby) rivers has seen a significant difference. I’m confident in the river work,” said Tynes.
Coun. Tom Chisholm disagreed.
“I’m a little leery. Just because we don’t get flooding for a year (in that area) doesn’t mean we should build on a floodplain ... we said put a hold on development on floodplains,” said Chisholm.
Jason Fox, the town’s director of planning and development, told council the planning department recommends no extension.
“It’s already been delayed two years … and because we are in the midst of floodplain management (studies)” which would provide valuable information for the future.
Fox suggested the development application “should go back to the drawing board.”
Tynes wasn’t convinced.
“You can’t approve something one time and then have a change of heart another time based on what regulations may or may not be,” he said.
With the final vote, council deemed the extension was denied but Wallace can reapply anytime.
When the project was suggested a few years ago, construction of the first phase - a 39-unit building - was expected to be completed by 2013. Another 63-unit building was anticipated to be done by 2015.