UPDATED: 8:50 P.M.
BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS - A United States law enforcement official says the suspected gunman at the Fort Hood Army base in Texas is now believed to be dead.
Fort Hood confirmed the shooting on the base in a brief statement Wednesday evening. The statement also said emergency crews were on the scene and that further details were not yet known.
The official says reports circulating within the Justice Department indicate the shooter has died of what appears to be a self-inflicted wound. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is still ongoing.
The identity of the shooter and the number of victims were not immediately known.
HL: Injuries reported after shooting at Texas base
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
FORT HOOD, Texas - The U.S. Armyâs Fort Hood says a shooting Wednesday at the Texas base has resulted in injuries.
The base, the scene of a mass shooting in 2009, confirmed Wednesdayâs shooting in a brief statement posted online. The statement also said emergency crews were on the scene and that further details were not yet known.
The Bellâs County Sheriffâs Office dispatched deputies and troopers from the Texas Department of Public Safety to the nearby post after receiving reports of an âactive shooter,â sheriffâs Lt. Donnie Adams said. FBI spokeswoman Michelle Lee said its agents were also headed to the scene.
On its Twitter feed and Facebook page, Fort Hood on Wednesday ordered everyone on base to âshelter in place.â The 1st Cavalry Division, which is based at Fort Hood, sent a Twitter alert telling people on base to close doors and stay away from windows.
White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the president has been informed of the reports of a shooting at Fort Hood and will continue to receive updates as he attends a pair of Democratic Party fundraisers in Chicago.
Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel also has been informed of the shooting, said Navy Rear Admiral John Kirby.
Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan was convicted and sentenced to death last year in the Nov. 5, 2009, attack on his fellow soldiers as they waited inside a crowded building at Fort Hood. Soldiers there were waiting to get vaccines and routine paperwork after recently returning from deployments or while preparing to go to Afghanistan and Iraq.
Thirteen people were killed and more than 30 wounded in what was the deadliest attack on a domestic military installation in U.S. history.
According to testimony during Hasanâs trial last August, Hasan walked inside carrying two weapons and several loaded magazines, shouted âAllahu Akbar!â â Arabic for âGod is great!â â and opened fire with a handgun.
Witnesses said he targeted soldiers as he walked through the building, leaving pools of blood, spent casings and dying soldiers on the floor. Photos of the scene were shown to the 13 officers on the military jury.
The rampage ended when Hasan was shot in the back by Fort Hood police officers outside the building, which left him paralyzed from the waist down. Hasan is now on death row at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.
After that shooting, the military tightened security at bases nationwide. Those measures included issuing security personnel long-barrelled weapons, adding an insider-attack scenario to their training, and strengthening ties to local law enforcement, according to Peter Daly, a vice-admiral who retired from the Navy in 2011.
The military also joined an FBI intelligence-sharing program aimed at identifying terror threats.
In September, a former Navy man opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard, leaving at least 13 people dead, including the gunman. After that shooting, Hagel ordered the Pentagon to review security at all U.S. defence installations worldwide and examine the granting of security clearances that allow access to them.