Nova Scotia Provincial Exhibition has long life left, says Truro town councillor

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

TRURO – A Truro town councillor says layoffs and changes at the Nova Scotia Provincial Exhibition are not as extreme as previously reported in the media.

“It’s a seasonal operation … layoffs are normal,” said Raymond Tynes during a Truro town council meeting on Monday.

Tynes, who is the town’s representative on the NSPE board, said the traditional season is April to early December, but this year the racing season was extended to Dec. 22 so the layoffs happened later than other years.

On Friday, three administrative employees – the general manager, accountant and office secretary – were laid off. A grounds keeper and snow maintenance personnel remain employed.

“We are down two people. That will be corrected (Monday night),” Tynes said of the NSPE meeting that was held Monday night.

It was anticipated the resignation of outgoing chairman John Douglas and another unidentified board member would also be addressed at the NSPE meeting.

“A full report will be out” Tuesday, added Tynes at the council meeting.

Tynes said despite changes and layoffs, there is a future for the NSPE.

“The NSPE will be here a lot longer than what people think it will be. It will be alive and well for (a long time) to come … including the raceway, exhibition and blues festival but it will have to be changed how it’s done,” Tynes told council.

 

mchiasson@trurodaily.com

Twitter: tdnMonique

Organizations: NSPE board

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments