BERWICK - The province’s medical examiner’s office is still looking for more information before releasing the results of an autopsy conducted on a homeless man found dead last week in a bus shelter fire in rural Nova Scotia.
A spokesman for the medical examiner’s office said the cause of the delay is that the case remains under investigation.
The official could not comment when asked whether it was standard practice to delay releasing autopsy results on cases still being investigated.
Nova Scotia RCMP Sgt. Al LeBlanc said in his experience he has never seen this type of wait before.
“It’s unusual,” he said.
The body of 62-year-old Harley Lawrence was found early Wednesday morning in Berwick after the bus shelter he routinely slept in went up in flames.
Originally from Hants County, Lawrence had been living in Berwick – a community of 2,500 in the Annapolis Valley – since spring of 2013.
The Mounties said they are treating Lawrence’s death as suspicious.
Police have not laid any charges.
The community where Lawrence died held a candlelit vigil on Saturday in his memory.
A funeral service is scheduled for 11 a.m. on Wednesday at White Family Funeral Home in Kentville.
- by Geordon Omand for Metro Halifax