BASS RIVER – The fight to stay in Canada is still ongoing for a Bass River family facing possible deportation.
Sean, Angelica and Becky Platnauer are still working with local politicians in their fight to stay in Canada. Last month, Immigration Canada told the Bass River-based family they had to leave the country “immediately” but nothing formal has happened since. File photo
Becky and Sean Platnauer, and teenage daughter Angelica, were informed through an email from Immigration Canada in early September they had to leave the country “immediately.” They want to stay in Bass River, where they have lived for four years, as opposed to returning to their former home of West Sussex, England.
Becky told the Truro Daily News on Wednesday they are still in Bass River, working with local politicians in their efforts to stay in the community, and they haven’t heard again from the federal government.
“We have nothing yet,” Becky said regarding any formal updates. “We are still
working with (Cumberland Colchester Musquodoboit Valley MP) Scott Armstrong, (Colchester North MLA) Karen Casey and (Colchester County councillor) Tom Taggart.”
Becky added the family is communicating with the Chignecto-Central Regional School Board “to try to arrange for an international visa for Angelica” to stay in the country and continue her education at Cobequid Educational Centre in Truro.
Sean has also “been talking to a few companies for work … which are definitely in Nova Scotia” said Becky.
And although that looks “promising,” Becky said, “until we get a piece of paper (saying we can stay) we are not counting our chickens before they hatch.”
Continued community support, including words of encouragement and fundraisers, has warmed the family’s hearts as well.
“The fact that so many people are helping us lifts your spirits.”
Sean and Becky told this newspaper in an interview last month they followed proper procedure for permanent residency when their temporary visa permit expired in the spring. They said they had 90 days to file for permanent status and “we did within two weeks,” adding they were hoping a temporary visa would hold them over until a final decision was made.