STEWIACKE - Things could have been a whole lot worse for a homeowner here following a house fire over the weekend.
© Raissa Tetanish - Truro Daily News
A home in Stewiacke sustained minor damage over the weekend after a fire broke out in a basement. Two firefighters from a neighbouring department were passing by and noticed smoke at the home. They rushed inside to bring one person out to safety.
"The homeowner was really lucky," said Stewiacke and District Volunteer Fire Brigade deputy chief Mark Crozier. "Two firefighters from Brookfield - Brent Fisher and Jason Gerrior - came across the fire and rushed inside the home to bring the person out."
The overnight Friday fire started in the basement of a George Street home, said Crozier.
"The fire actually melted some plastic tubing associated with water, so it acted as its own sprinkler system and extinguished the fire," he said.
"It could have been worse."
There was only one person home at the time of the fire and the fire marshal was on scene over the weekend for an investigation.
Crozier said he hasn't spoken to the fire marshal for the outcome of the investigation, but as of Monday morning, a guard was still keeping an eye on the property.