Province announces three reviews in Rehtaeh Parsons case

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

METRO HALIFAX

Rehtaeh Parsons is shown in a handout photo from the Facebook tribute page "Angel Rehtaeh."

HALIFAX - Premier Darrell Dexter has announced the province will launch three independent reviews of theresponse to the Rehtaeh Parsons case.

“Nova Scotians want to continue to support Rehtaeh’s family in whatever way they can, and that includes ensuring that justice is done for Rehtaeh,” said Dexter in a release sent late Monday afternoon.

Rehtaeh killed herself earlier this month, two years after she was allegedly gang raped and then harassed by classmates when a photo of the attack was shared on social media.

Police investigated and did not lay charges, but announced Friday the case will be re-opened, based on new information.

Dexter said a review of the Halifax Regional School Board’s handling of the case will begin immediately, and details will be announced soon.

A review of the police and Public Prosecution Service’s actions will begin once the criminal investigation is complete.

A police spokesperson said Monday the new probe is proceeding, but couldn’t say how long it might take.

“Investigations will take what they take,” said RCMP Cpl. Scott MacRae. “That’s a very hard question for police because of the complexity of investigations, possibly the number of people that have to be interviewed, what type of evidence, what type of documents you’re dealing with.”

The release from the Premier’s Office said the scope of the reviews, and who will conduct them, is still being finalized.

RUTH DAVENPORT - METRO HALIFAX

Organizations: Halifax Regional School Board, Public Prosecution Service, RCMP

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments