HALIFAX - Seven people are facing fraud-related charges involving a lengthy investigation by Halifax police into online classified ads.
Police say in 2011, investigators began to look into several ads selling sports or concert tickets, and puppies. When a price was agreed upon, police allege the buyer would electronically transfer the money to the seller, but never receive the goods.
Police say they received more than 300 complaints totalling losses of more than $150,000. Complaints came from every Canadian province and some spots in the United States.
On Wednesday, police say eight people were arrested around HRM, with seven now facing fraud-related charges.
The accused are:
- Sarajane Hope Mansfield, 23, of Dartmouth
- Joshua Andrew Orde, 24, of Halifax
- Christian Stephen Orde, 24, of Dartmouth
- Bradley Charles Orde, 27, of Dartmouth
- Ashley Anna Goodwin, 28, of Dartmouth
- Heather Joy Orde, 52, of Dartmouth
- Charles Maxwell Orde, 53, of Dartmouth
The seven are all scheduled to appear in Halifax provincial court on Thursday.
PHILIP CROUCHER - METRO HALIFAX