That was the advice offered from Nova Scotia’s Emergency Management Minister Ross Landry, in advance of the winter storm that was forecast to dump as much as 40 cm of snow between Friday night and Saturday.
"EMO (Emergency Management Office) is staying in touch with Environment Canada as this storm approaches," Landry said, in a news release issued Friday afternoon. “The best advice we can offer, if this storm hits as expected, is to stay home safe and warm."
The amount of snow forecast along with high winds will provide a challenge for snow removal equipment, Landry said, adding that some areas of the province also could be looking at prolonged cleanup times.
Those who must travel are also advised to take precautionary measures in case they are storm stayed.
"We make every effort to keep our roads safe," said Maurice Smith, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal. "Every piece of our winter maintenance equipment is ready to go and they plow continuously while the snow is coming down."
If road travel is an absolute necessity drivers can check the latest road conditions before departing by calling 511 or by checking the 511 website at http://511.gov.ns.ca . The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure and Renewal website also offers highway cams at www.gov.ns.ca/tran/cameras .
A listing of some event cancellations for Truro and Colchester County can be seen below:
- Great Village Masonic Lodge jam session scheduled for Sunday is cancelled.
- Sutherland's Lake snow drags rescheduled until Feb. 16.
- A workshop hosted by Parents Supporting Parents scheduled for Feb. 9 at the NSCC Truro Campus, Room 305, featuring guest speaker Michelle Morgan-Coole, has been postponed. The new date is Feb. 23.
- The Choirs for Comfort concert scheduled for this weekend in Truro has been postponed. The event now is set for Feb. 16, 3 p.m. at First United Church.
- Truro Bearcats hockey game planned for Saturday night has been cancelled. The 7 p.m. Sunday game is still on.
- The wrap-up of Town of Truro’s Long John Festival planned for Saturday is not proceeding because of the storm forecast and it will not be rescheduled.
- The open house for the Truro Model Railroaders is cancelled.
- Home games for the MU Rhino Renovation Midget AAA Bearcats scheduled for Friday at 8:30 p.m. and at noon Saturday have been cancelled. The MU Rhino Renovation Midget AAA Valentines Dance set for Saturday evening at the Truro Golf Club has been rescheduled for Feb. 23.
- There will be no basketball or badminton activity at DAL AC this weekend. Badminton is cancelled and because the Championships are next weekend, will not be rescheduled.