SALMON RIVER - Salmon River resident Scott Hagell has announced his intention to run for Colchester County council in October's municipal election. The following is an introductory profile:
Who: Scott Hagell
Running for: District #5 (Salmon River) councillor.
Occupation: High school teacher
Hobbies: Snowshoeing, softball, walking, swimming
Council experience: None
• The proposed creation of a wind farm in Harmony-Camden is a significant concern and I would like to see greater transparency and a change in the current regulations to better protect residents.
• I would like to see something positive happen with the Salmon River School. It's a shame to see the school vandalized and I am concerned that if something isn't done with it soon, it will be destroyed.
• I would like to see the Town of Truro and the County work together to establish a comprehensive transportation strategy that will respond to our communities' current and future needs.
• I also believe that something needs to be done to revitalize the Palliser Motel and Restaurant. This has long been a tourist destination and it is a shame to see it fall to pieces, literally and figuratively.
• The intersection where East Prince Street turns into the Old Salmon River Branch Road is incredibly confusing and dangerous and something needs to be done to make it safer.
Why he would make a good candidate:
I am a lifelong resident of Salmon River and Colchester County and I care deeply about my community and the people in it. This is my home and I believe that there are things that can be done to make it even better than it currently is. I also believe in action and I think that now, more than ever before, our community needs people who will work hard to put ideas into action rather than simply talking about them.