TRURO - Just a little red ladybug set amidst ribbons of purple and pink.
But for the family and friends of little Samantha Mercer, the tiny pins represent a form of protective spirit to aid against violence against children.
"The ladybug was Samantha's favourite animal. She really loved animals," said Leah Allen, fiancÉ to the girl's uncle, Chris.
Pink and purple were chosen for the ribbons because they were Samantha's favourite colours, she said.
Family and supporters of the late toddler wore the ladybugs throughout the court hearings, subsequent trial and again Monday during the decision.
Allen said they were made in support of all children who have been harmed through violence.
"These are not just for Samantha," she said. "They are for all kids who have been harmed by violence. There's way too much
of it going on in the world. It's unbelievable."
- Read more special articles:
- Mercer family’s heartbreaking struggle doesn’t end with review of toddler's death
- Truro police investigation into toddler's death ‘got off to a very bad start right off the bat’
- Truro Police Service responds to review of Samantha Mercer case
- Police investigation into death of Samantha Mercer flawed, review concludes.