TRURO HEIGHTS - Cobequid District Fire Brigade Chief Charlie Baird reminds people that ashes do not belong in composters.
The Cobequid fire brigade responded to a call on Tidewiew Drive just before 10 a.m. on Saturday. Baird said the fire, which was out when firefighters arrived, was caused by ashes in a composter.
"The neighbours and homeowners knocked it down," Baird told the Truro Daily News of the flames.
"The siding was burnt off one side" of a two-storey home, he added.
The fire crew was on scene for less than an hour.