Submitted by Jessie Dyke, Hilden
Raspberry snow squares
¼ cup shortening
¼ cup sugar
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. almond extract
2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
1½ cup flour
1 cup raspberry jam
½ cup flaked coconut
½ cup sugar (for topping)
- Cream shortening, sugar and salt until fluffy.
- Add almond extract and egg yolks. Mix well.
- Add flour.
- Pat dough into a nine-inch square ungreased pan. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 F.
- Spread hot crust with jam, then coconut.
- Beat egg whites until foamy and then add sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread mixture over coconut and bake for a further 25 minutes.
If you have a recipe you would like to appear in the Colchester Weekly News Potluck Corner feature, email it to email@example.com or mail it to Colchester Weekly News, 6 Louise St., Truro, B2N 5C3.